Insulation Question

I have a side attic storage unit, off my finished bonus room. You access the area thru the closet. On the wall that seperates the storage and bonus room, they have the insulation from the floor, up to the roof decking. The storage space has 3 soffet vents, but I'm thinking the insulation needs to be cut even with the roof rafters to allow the soffet air to be pulled thru the storage space into the main attic. Am I correct?

Thanks

The storage space is about 4ft wide by 15 ft long.

Your attic more than likely has its own ventilation. The soffit vent is more than likely just for your kneewalls.

But don't quote me on it. Local and State codes will determine whether or not its in code and up to par. Check your codes and consult a contractor before making any decisions.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Thanks for your service....

Does the attic have gable vents. Look outside to see if you see any vents for it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes the attic has 3 gable vents and a full ridge vent.. just thought it was wierd to have that storage area sealed to the decking.

Now, does the storage area have a way to vent the hot air in the summer. Just having sofit vents doesn't give good ventilation. If there is no vent for air movement. Then you may want to remove some of the insulation blocking the air flow to the attic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is the wall that separates the bonus room closet from the attic storage area insulated? Is the door to this storage area adequately weatherstripped? If the wall isn't insulated, you're gaining extra heat to your bonus room in summer, losing it in winter. If the door isn't sealed, the door is drawing air from your bonus room and home via stack effect into the attic, and possibly pushing hot air into the bonus room in summer if attic becomes hot enough and ventilation is light to nil.

Some things to check in addition to the soffit ventilation concern you raised.

Beenthere: Appears sealed off...only 3 soffet vents..

Shophound: Yes the wall is insulated, as well as the access door in the closet. Both the access door and closet door are weatherstripped.

If I remove some insulation, should I cut a few pieces, or should I cut every piece between the studs that extend to the roof decking?

Remove insulation in an amount equal to the surface area of the soffet vents. This is the minimum. Most construction has inadequite attic ventilation so you may need to increase the soffet vent # or size.

Removing insulation assumes there is extra insulation batting above the closet or room wall(s) and your not un-insulating the conditioned space.

Joe,

I had a similar situation in a Cape I used to live in. Try removing the insulation temporarily were it eases up between the roof rafters. In each rafter bay, install corrugated baffles (example below) against the underside of the roof decking. No need for the entire length of the rafter run, only where insulation would otherwise block air flow. Reinstall the insulation snugly against the newly installed baffles. Air entering the soffit vents now has a circuitous path out through the ridge vents (or gable vents) as it flows against the underside of the roof deck. Cheap and effective fix, if I'm understanding the situation you have.

Googled these, but their available at any Home Cheapo or Blowes
    http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-168916/Detail