Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Furnace Two Stage vs Two Stage with variable speed

I would appreciate if some one can clarify

Looking for replacing my existing furnace (19 years old Carrier)
    Probably with Trane XV 80 (variable speed) or XL (two stage)

Which one is better in terms of over all comfort?

Also, is there any difference between american standard freedom 80 ultimate and trance XV 80

I live in suburb of Chicago and difference in price for Trane and AS are coming about $500 (trane is more expensive). Any suggestions...

Always go with Variable Speed Blower

They pull about 1amp as to a PSC motor which pulls 5 to ^ amps .

Always go with Variable Speed Blower

They pull about 1amp as to a PSC motor which pulls 5 to 6amps . A S and Trane are made at the same plant in Texas All that is different is the name .For the $500 go with the AS .For added comfort go with 2 stage compressor . The furances are made in New Jersey again same parts Good Luck

If you have rooms that are not heating as well as others. A VS blower often times helps to minimize it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Look into the XV95, being you are in the cold zone, you'll get a better savings on that than the 80%.

XV is variable speed, and will be quieter than the XL90, and won't get the burner noise that you'd get on the XV80.

Xv 90

I live in a townhome and installer told me that it requires a speical vent through roof if you go above 80%. In townhome no holes in the roof as per condo assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by cshah View Post
    I live in a townhome and installer told me that it requires a speical vent through roof if you go above 80%. In townhome no holes in the roof as per condo assoc.
    90% don't have to bring it up to the roof, you can go out the side of the home.

I would bring this up to the assoc. that gas is not getting cheap, and should look at the guide line on allowing the 90% to be put into the homes. A friend of mine did, and they changed it to allow the home owners upgrade to a higher effecncney system.

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    90% don't have to bring it up to the roof, you can go out the side of the home.

I would bring this up to the assoc. that gas is not getting cheap, and should look at the guide line on allowing the 90% to be put into the homes. A friend of mine did, and they changed it to allow the home owners upgrade to a higher effecncney system.
    Big 10-4 on what he said. I deal with a lot of condos and when a major upgrade that enhances the value of the home is concerned the assoc is usually more open minded to exception.

All depends on you

A variable speed furnace VS a 2-stage you ask?

There are pro's and con's for both.
    1.) variable speed saves you some on the electric bill
    2.) variable speed runs a bit quieter
    3.) 2-stage saves you on the gas
    4.) 2-stage non variable speed would seem to have less problems

The main thing I look at when choosing between variable speed and plain 2-stage is this.
    - Variable speed furnaces tend to have more things go wrong and require more servicing in my experience. The more technical and advanced they get.. the more stuff there is that can go wrong. But I tend to work on Bryant units, mostly.
    Last edited by Plumber Steve; 04-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.

2 stage won't save you on your heating bill.
    A 2 stage 90% 40,000 btu furnace uses the same amount of gas to heat your house as a single stage 90% 40,000 btu furnace.

It will how ever provide you with the longer run times to even out the heat in the rooms.

If the VS motor fails out of warranty, yes it is more expesive then a standard motor.
    You pay for comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumber Steve View Post
    A variable speed furnace VS a 2-stage you ask?

There are pro's and con's for both.
    1.) variable speed saves you some on the electric bill
    2.) variable speed runs a bit quieter
    3.) 2-stage saves you on the gas
    4.) 2-stage non variable speed would seem to have less problems

The main thing I look at when choosing between variable speed and plain 2-stage is this.
    - Variable speed furnaces tend to have more things go wrong and require more servicing in my experience. The more technical and advanced they get.. the more stuff there is that can go wrong. But I tend to work on Bryant units, mostly.
    Really???

It's been my experience that a single stage and a two stage will use the same amount of gas, just different ways of warming the house that provide a different level of comfort. As far as breaking down more...I have never noticed this at all...variable speed motors last forever when properly set up.
    I need a new signature.....

Go with a VS. Very reliable. And do all you can to go 90% or better. Why throw away 10-15% of your gas? It's not getting any cheaper.
    Also, 2 stage won't save gas, but will improve comfort, as previously stated.
    It's like getting two different furnaces - one for maintaining temp, one for set-back recovery, and really cold days.

With the way utility rates are going the 80% should be put out to pasture.

90% VS 2stg are the way to go and the tech has been around long enough that I have enough confidence to recommend them. Not everyone goes for the cost so the HO usually goes for a standard 90%.
    I have only sold one 80% in two years and that was because the HO was moving to Florida and didn't want to put more into the home then necessary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast