Refrigerant leak detector

Whats a good electronic refrigerant leak detector thats not to expensive?

define inexpensive
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

$1

I got mine off Ebay. Its an Inficon TeK Mate. Works pretty well.

I have only used it a few times. I prefer compressed nitrogen and soap bubbles. If you can't find it with nitro......you probably won't be able to find it with electronics.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I use the Infinicon as well. I paid $150 a few years ago. You can't get it within 10 ft. of a good R22 leak, it freaks out. Not as responsive to 410. It worked well with 134A. You have to replace the little sensor thing every 2 years or so. I think it costs $40.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I got mine off Ebay. Its an Inficon TeK Mate. Works pretty well.

I have only used it a few times. I prefer compressed nitrogen and soap bubbles. If you can't find it with nitro......you probably won't be able to find it with electronics.
    Microleaks. You get on a roof in the howling wind, and other calls waiting and just may find that an electronic works better. I had a copper-to-steel joint that had microleaks, barely would make a cocoon.
    But my inficon (the more expensive one, like $310 usually like 325-350) picked it up instantly.

And you can charge more if you start calling the bubbles "leak reactant"
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

I still use the tried and true johnson controls hg10 formerly made by GE it picks up a leak as small as 1/2 ounce per year. The down side is that it requires a120vac source to plug it in and the cost its about $400. That and the sensors like to go up often

Thumbs up

I agree H-10. Still the best in my opinion. You can get them with rechargable battery.