Dual Zone Heating

I'm in the process of remodeling a home, adding a second story. I live in Southern California, so the temperature is pretty moderate. My contractor wants me to put in dual zone heating controls (1 each floor), however given that I'm trying to keep costs down, I'm wondering if the cost is worth it. Are their heating efficiencies and therefore future cost savings that make spending on dual zone worth it in the long run? Thank you for your input.

zones

when u say zone do you mean 2 seprate heat and cooling systems or electronic dampers inserted into the ducts?

Although more often just a comfort item.
    Zoning can save some money on operating cost. If the second floor is going to be bedrooms. No need to keep them at the same temp as the rest of the house during the day. You can leave those rooms 2 to 4 degrees cooler during the day.
    Same thing during the night. You don't need the first floor to be at comfort temp while your asleep. You can let it get 2 to 4 degrees cooler.

How much of a savings varies by area, and set back difference.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

call around to several companies in your area. Zone systems can be quite complex and require a sharp tech to install one right. I worked on one the other day that other companies couldn't figure out. My trainer and I got to the bottom of the problem, and it was a software issue.

Point is, you may pay a little more for someone who knows what they are doing, but they will be able to figure the system out and get it right for your individual setup.

Good luck

In answer to your question Yes, its worth it.
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

My OLD sytem was a 2 stage GEO with variable speed,it took it out and installed a 16 SEER HYBRID HEATING system (L/P and and h/p) with 4 zones and my home is SUPER Comfortable and cheaper to operate than before.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!