Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please

Opinions please

My A/C system is going out and needs to be replaced. I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have 4 quotes so far and another coming tomorrow they are all pretty much in the same ballpark. As far as brands go how would you rate the following: Luxaire, American Standard, Carrier. Also we currently have an R22 system, one of the quotes I have is for an R22 system and the others are for the new Puron systems. Which one should we go with, Puron or R22? I do not know much about how these things work (I am learning) and I thought I could get some straight answers from people who are not trying to sell me their product. Thanks.

carrier is the most advanced in efficiency comfort and controll, i have sold several infinity systems to return to very happy clients. infinity control is impressive and functional. i would put a hybrid setup in my house with the works.

if youre gonna do it do it right

Thumbs up R-410a

Quote Originally Posted by dippy View Post
    As far as brands go how would you rate the following: Luxaire, American Standard, Carrier. Also we currently have an R22 system, one of the quotes I have is for an R22 system and the others are for the new Puron systems. Which one should we go with, Puron or R22?
    R-410A

R-22 is being phased out for use in new equipment in 635 days
    ( December 31, 2009)

Equipment Model ( series ) and match-up for a mfg
    is more important than
    the particular manufacturer (mfg).
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

All 3 brands are fine.
    If you can post models numbers, we can tell if your being given estimates on apple to apple systems.

Either refrigerant is ok to use. R22 units won't be made anymore come 2010. Parts will still be available for existing systems.(Could run into back order troubles with R22 systems)

The contractors installation quality is more important then the brand name.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As far as model numbers go, I have been given quotes on the Carrier Comfort series 25HCA 342 (410a), American Standard Heritage 13 Heat Pump -2A6H3042 (r22) American Standard Heritage 14 Heat Pump 2A6H4042 (r22) and Luxaire Aclimate 3s HL3A042F1 (r22).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by dippy View Post
    As far as model numbers go, I have been given quotes on the Carrier Comfort series 25HCA 342 (410a), American Standard Heritage 13 Heat Pump -2A6H3042 (r22) American Standard Heritage 14 Heat Pump 2A6H4042 (r22) and Luxaire Aclimate 3s HL3A042F1 (r22).
    What indoor models are they matching those with??

Carrier or American Standard.

dont go low end, opt for variable speed, staging compressor and the best thermostat you can buy comfort then efficiency, then price. check hvacopcost.com
    definately go 410a, its 2008 get with the times man, get with the times

The carrier system is matched with an indoor heatpum FY4ANF042 and an auxilliary heater KFCEH 1501 F15. Also all systems quoted with digital thermastats. I really appreciate the comments so far. It looks like I am leaning toward the carrier system. As a side note we are only going to be living in the home another 2 to 3 years so I really do not want to put a ton of money into a system that we will not be around to enjoy.

going out? how so? 2-3years if its not dead now, whats the "diagnosis"

The evaporator coil is leaking freon in multiple locations, the outside unit sounds very rough, like metal scrapping on metal. The system is the original one installed when the house was being built and is 10 years old. I figured that the outside unit will not last much longer and I know the inside has to be changed, I am surprised the freon has lasted this long (about two weeks).

my preference would be the American standard 14 seer. more importantly is the quality of the install. if done right any one of those units will do awesome. but it needs to be sized correctly. bigger is not better. air flow is critical on an air conditioner or heat pump. it looks like all 4 of those units are comparable to each other. do you happen to know the model of the furnace or air handler that is existing in the house
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

One more question. In three years would you buy a house with a three year old r22 system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast