Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That Doc hes da man, even Twilli didn't know that
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli gonna call his Rheem rep. Twilli's zip is 43608. Twilli in the hood
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    The control would be based on actual humidity if you chose to do it that way, assuming your humidistat is located in the right place and it were accurate. I just calls em as I sees em. The unit set up like I mentioned will not make your house too dry by any stretch but you will have no problem achieving a 45% rh home either.
    Doc, what is the correct location? Aren't humidistats usually located in the return drop?

Haven't ruled out doing it your way. Just to clarify, are you saying that your method would have no problem achieving 45%?

AM

Unfortunately, many times a room humidistat is mounted on the return drop. So it draws basement air through it, so it senses the basements humidty, not the return air humidity.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Unfortunately, many times a room humidistat is mounted on the return drop. So it draws basement air through it, so it senses the basements humidty, not the return air humidity.
    Are you saying that the humidistat should be wall-mounted, next to the thermostat?

AM

Do you want to control the humidity in your basement, or your living areas.
    There are humidistats made to be mounted on the return duct, and read the return air. But many companies don't use them, or install them wrong.

I prefer the humidistat to be beside the thermostat. Better to read the same air that the stat senses.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post

Just to clarify, are you saying that your method would have no problem achieving 45%?
    Im saying that assuming you dont have a swimming pool in your home and barring any oddball details that may have been left out and assuming the dip switches (airflow) are properly adjusted, and that you run your system as it should yes, you will have no problem maintaining 45%.

Im saying that assuming you dont have a swimming pool in your home and barring any oddball details that may have been left out and assuming the dip switches (airflow) are properly adjusted, and that you run your system as it should yes, you will have no problem maintaining 45%.
    oops

Ooops what?, I didnt stutter.

Ooops what?, I didn't stutter.
    LOL, keeping it real man. you didn't stu - stut- stutter. chill out . I made a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'm sorry, beenthere, but that conclusion does not necessarily follow.

I have a return duct mounted humidistat. It is mounted with a gasket as per the installation manual. I can't get a candle flame to deflect near it while the system is running.

Having a knob by the thermostat sure is more convenient, though, but I just don't twiddle with it much. It has two positions that I run it at- 45% and off.

-HF

Is there a Y2 on the thermostat? Yes, there is, it's a mod stat. (I would have your contractor connect that to the Y2 (YH) on the furnace and pull the ODD jumper rather than waste my time with a humidistat). You'll make your single stage cooling act like a 2 stage, lowering your sensible capcity and increasing your latent work when 1st stage cooling is called for. If second stage calls, it will bring the fan to full speed and bring the sensible up to handle the temperature you feel.

That's not in the book, but it's good advice (and probably should have been done at installation if they sat through a class that discusses ODD).
    this plus wiring the humidistat would be best?

Most duct mounted humidistats are not installed correctly. What brand and mod number is yours.
    Contractor locator map

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast