4 Ton Condensor with 5 ton Coil

I searched and see many upsize the coil to gain a bit of seer, but want to make sure our contractor recommendations are ok.

We have a second lake home just outside of Dallas. It 1750 sq ft. quite a few windows. We are only there for weekends and some long weekends for the summer. Dont want to dump a ton of money in it, but do want system to works correctly. We will keep the home another 5 years or so.

Contractor (does a lot of work for subdivision) and lives in our subdivision says that 4 ton unit is big enough to cool home the way it is set up. He said coil is only appx. 5-6 yrs old and is fine. Its Carrier ce3axa06q000abaa.

He suggested a Payne 13 seer 4 ton unit. He said we would gain a little efficiency paired with the 5 ton coil.

Not sure what else I should be asking. He said payne is a good unit for the money and for our limited use and we should get many years of good service out of it.

This all sound ok? Anything I should be leary of or questions I should ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad

4 Ton Condenser Goes With 4 Ton Evap.............5 Ton, Etc.
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

York, I kind of thought the same. But using the search feature, found may people upsize 1/2 ton on their coil. Im no HVAC guy, but dont think they make 4.5 ton coil to upsize for 4 ton unit.

Seemed reasonable what he suggested... will it work ok? Think maybe he was trying to save me a little money knowing its not a million dollar home and were only there 2 weekends a month.

Guess maybe question I should have asked it will it work without any negative effects. Or in the short and long run should I just flip for a new coil and install also?

if coil is not to old it may be an ari rated match. 5 ton coil with 4 ton unit is VERY common to get seer ratings up. just make sure blower is set up for proper cfm's.

use a propely sized txv for your metring device and airflow,airflow,airflow!!!

$pring for a matched coil!!!!!!!!!

Well, if your only there for weekends/vacations i would defenetly keep it 4 ton. considering your looking to save money on the project.
    Sink or Swim!

You guys always put my mind at ease. It so nice for consumers to be able to make sure were not getting the run around.

For the money, Payne decent or should I ask him about another brand in that price range?

He mentioned TXV (valve to control freon?? or pressure or something of the sort). Assume it is the line filter on the outside between condensor and outside wall? Or does it go up by the coil in attic? I will look one up online to get a visual.

I will mention air flow to him also and make sure its adequate. He poked around for a while and had unit running while he was up inthe attic.

Again, have the money to install coil, but he did not seem to think it would benefit me much or any at all and hate to spend the money if it is not necessary.

Appreciate all you help.

I don't see too many manufactures recommending separate size coils. Yes, on paper, or in a lab, with perfect airflow, a perfectly adjusted TXV, and optimum external static pressure, the efficiency is there. But, will that be true in the field with so many variables - questionable. I say save the money and put in what the manufacturer recommends. 4 ton -4 ton. I would be surprised if you would see a noticeable efficiency where you want it - in your wallet.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

You probably want to put in a matching Payne coil since you can afford it. You don't want to run into any issues down the road (including warranty issues, which may or may not be a problem with Payne).

Doubt you'll have any trouble using that 5 ton coil. With the possible exception of humidity control.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    You probably want to put in a matching Payne coil since you can afford it. You don't want to run into any issues down the road (including warranty issues, which may or may not be a problem with Payne).
    I'm only going to say this once.........The evaporator takes on the capacity of the condenser, as long as it has a TXV matched for the condenser. It dosen't matter if it is a 2 ton evaporator on a 5 ton condenser as long as it has a 5 ton TXV. If you don't belive me, stay up NORTH.

It can be R-12, R-22, R-410a......as long as it is in a res split system and installed properly.

"Nobody will reply to this one because the are unsure about the way they make their living"

Classes on humidity removal doeth come right soon.

I will.

How about a 7.5 ton heat pump piped to 2-4 ton air handlers.
    Got another 7.5 ton heat pump, piped up to 2-5 ton air handlers.
    Both set ups are pistons.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Confused

How about ........Condenser on patio,furnace in closet...line set ran to evap in ATTIC...
    Sink or Swim!