Double the cost??

Hello 2 my new best friends.....

Replacing a 27 y.o. system. 2 bids for a 3.5 ton 14 SEER w/ Puron. Bid on an Amana is 80% less than a Trane!! Does that make sense - especially in light of all the advice here that says installation is as if not more important than the nameplate on the system??

Please advise - these appear to be equivalent bids - new pad, thermostat, electrical. Only tangible difference my little brain can fathom is the variable speed feature and the Trane nameplate.

I understand my Civic is $18k and a G35 would cost $30k+, but this price differential....I ain't feelin' it.

Post the actual model numbers of the indoor and outdoor units.

You could be comparing a base model Amana to a high end Trane model.
    Is the Trane dealer doing any additional ductwork the Amana contractor isn't.
    Is the Trane guy including an extended parts and labor warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

my guess is your not comparing apples to apples, I'm sure the Amana guy says you are, but as Been there stated, we need model numbers to verify that. If the difference is the variable speed, they are 2 very different systems.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    my guess is your not comparing apples to apples, I'm sure the Amana guy says you are, but as Been there stated, we need model numbers to verify that. If the difference is the variable speed, they are 2 very different systems.
    Granting that they are very different, and specific model numbers aside - my generic question is whether ANY XXXX system is going to lower my bills by twice as much as a XXXX system? Because that's going to be my simple analysis - cost / benefit / time. I've been in sales for 24 years - some 'benefit' arguments fly, some don't....imo.

And again, the data posted here suggests time and again that 3.5 ton, 14 SEER Puron systems perform within a fairly narrow range - with nothing to indicate one system would be TWICE as efficient and save TWICE the money over 10 years.

I'm sure I'm missing something, just have no idea how I could sell this to my wife ( uh....the decision maker ).

I will be happy to post model details when I quit dicking around and get off my employers computer and go home....
    Last edited by Admin; 04-03-2008 at 08:42 PM.

You may not be comparing equivalent systems, but have you ever seen an advertisement for Amana heating and cooling products? I'll bet you've seen some for Trane. Someone has to pay for those ads.

It's not all about saving money. If you want to stay cool, or warm go cheap.

If you want to get a comfortable cool or warm home, go with the higher end equipment. High end equipment is designed to improve total indoor comfort and improved efficiency. Some people just want to temper there home, if thats you then go with the low dollar systems.

BTW if those are the #'s you were quoted, get a 3rd price, better yet find another Amana guy cause I bet he is closer to the Trane price. That's cheaper than dirt and I bet dirts worth more. For a complete system that is way too low around here.

Also you will be asked to edit the pricing out of your post(no pricing allowed)
    You can't fix stupid

Spending extra money on a well known product line will not necessarily add more comfort to your system. Even Goodman makes VS blowers, high SEER A/C's, 2-stage furnaces.
    I'm a big fan of comfort over just cooling and heating, but comfort doesn't come from a name.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    Spending extra money on a well known product line will not necessarily add more comfort to your system. Even Goodman makes VS blowers, high SEER A/C's, 2-stage furnaces.
    I'm a big fan of comfort over just cooling and heating, but comfort doesn't come from a name.
    I never said a TRANE will be more comfortable than an Amana. A VS system will be. Buy a Goodman, comfortmaker Lennox whatever, I don't care, just make sure they are the same TYPE of system before bagging on prices. BTW I get Trane equipment for very slightly higher prices than I do Maytag(Nordyne) so the cost would be very minimal between the 2 comparable systems.
    You can't fix stupid

there is something very strange about the price differential but you also need to compare the contractors i live in va and the laws are prettty strick on contractors but some unlic. people still slip by. is that low price from a individual or a lic. contractor that stands behind the equipment and is not just installing and never to be seen agin.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisinfinity View Post
    there is something very strange about the price differential but you also need to compare the contractors i live in va and the laws are prettty strick on contractors but some unlic. people still slip by. is that low price from a individual or a lic. contractor that stands behind the equipment and is not just installing and never to be seen agin.
    1st - I am very grateful for this site and the quality of posters here.

Let me fill in the blanks :

I'm in TX, and have 2 bids from licensed guys - although why they're licensed under the Appraiser code.....must be a TX thing.

I chose the 1st firm because they had the fewest BBB complaints of those advertising.

I chose the 2nd since they were on the 'approved list' of TXU, nad also had the fewest complaints of that group.

I like both guys. The first says he's been doing this for 15 years, and waxed poetic over the cheaping down of Carrier over the years. He gave more advice and info than the 2nd guy. He also pushed Freon over Puron since 'puron systems create twice the pressure and lead to more repairs..."

The 2nd guy was almost mute in comparison - agreed I needed a 3.5 ton system, and recommended puron...for no particular reason.

1st bid - Amana/Goodman SSX14 w/ MHSSX14 air handler.
    Complete install = $ X.

2nd bid - Trane XR14 w/ 15kw air handler.
    Complete install = $ X+ .7X

EDIT - I 'assumed' the Trane has VS - nothing in the literature given says it does.

*Also, told both that I would be selling this home in 1-3 years and simply wanted to be able to market the home as having a new system.

Is the Trane 70% better than the Goodman??

NOPE.

I don't know if Puron units give more trouble in Texas or not. but they don't here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?