12 year old A/C replacements...need some advice

I live in NC and have two Goodman A/C split system units 2.5 ton and 3.0 ton for two story at about 3100 sq ft. I asked our A/C guy to drop me a price quote on new units and would like to look for something more efficient. He recommended I just stick with what I have which was put in (builders units) when the house was put together..."they still make a similar unit". I know there has to be something better since the house was built. I think its a 10 or 12 SEER and when I get home I can look up what I can to post later. I want to try to push for a higher SEER. I know the upfront cost is more but the return on monthly energy cost should be better right? I am open for getting a few more quotes but I wanted to give this guy a chance first since he has been there for us when the other units were struggling to get to the next season. Does anyone recommend a level to shoot for? Cause I am sure after a certain level its not that much of a savings due to cost. Tks.

Here in NC the humidity can get pretty rough.

I would recommend something that is 2 stage with a variable speed blower.

I'd call some reputable companies in your area as the company you had out doesn't seem to have your best interests in mind.

Keeping those old units will cost you more to operate, higher maintenence, price increase in equipment later and possibly an equipment failure when you least need it.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Hey Gunny...Tks yeah really need to shop around...mainly just want something e-star rated and a higher SEER to save some money over time...I know bigger is not better since that runs into duct changes and an inefficent setup. Right now I have horizonal units...one under the house and one in the attic....new furance under ...12 year old one upstairs...I also asked him about air cleaners etc...since we have a nice weekly dust build up and since we bought the home second hand...don't know if its always been like that. Our old house was a starter home only a 1 year old and not that much dust...thinking about getting the ducts cleaned which might help but don't think thats entirely the problem....Just need some straight facts on this stuff since some of the guys come off like a car salesman.

kredrover.....do yourself a favor and lose that guy's number! You are asking all the right questions but in my opinion you should be asking other salesmen in your area. Get some quotes, usually about 3 and ask these questions. Make sure they size your equipment properly. Any company worth their salt will be able to answer ALL of your questions and take good care of you...anything new will only be as good as the company that installed it. Keep that in mind...an improperly installed 16 seer unit can cost you more to run than your 12 year old 10 seer! Good luck with yout search...oh and make sure you get a variable speed blower for the house and a two stage outside would be a big plus!
    I need a new signature.....

Look into getting a heatpump. With c.o.p. around 3.0, the HP is 300% eff. Meaning every dollar you put into it you get 3 dollars worth of heat. With your mild winters and I assume cheap electric, the cost difference between a HP and A/C will pay for itself in no time.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

do your reserch and compare brands consumer reports is agreat place to start and i would not suggest goiing with a contractor who dosn't recommend upgrading equipment and always get proof of ins. and lic.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisinfinity View Post
    do your reserch and compare brands consumer reports is agreat place to start and i would not suggest goiing with a contractor who dosn't recommend upgrading equipment and always get proof of ins. and lic.

Worst advice yet.

Consumer reports evaluation of HVAC equipment is terrible.

They are basically rating someone's experience with a particular brand.

If company XYZ installed a Trane and consumer A loves it, but company ABC installed the same system for consumer B with opposite results, is it the equipments fault or installers?

HVAC isn't like an assembly line where the product is put together EXACTLY the same every time.

What part of NC is the OP located?
    Last edited by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman; 04-04-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: proofread!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!