Thread: New Furnace

New Furnace

I'm just trying to sort out which contractor to go with. My house is 1950 Sq. Ft. 2 sty house. Dble brick on the bottom with a 6" stud wall construction on the top. 2nd flr has 2 high mounted cold air return grills feeding into one return. The main flr has one cold air return(6" X 24" grill) centrally located ( furthest heat register is 22' from the return). Fully exposed basement with hot and cold ducts both 8" X !8". Both contractors want to put in the same system a Keeprite VS90 75,000 BTU with matching 410A 14 Seer A/C and a matching thermostat.

Contractor #1 - Wants to put in a 2.5 ton A/C, also enlarge main flr cold air return and add another cold air return on the main flr plus use a condesate pump on the furnace.

Contractor #2 - suggests a 2 ton A/C and enlarge the main flr return but one is sufficient no need to add another. He also says my cold air duct should be replaced by a larger size and have a gravity drain instead of a condesate pump.

I forgot to mention that the bedrooms on the 2nd flr at the opposite side of the house from the furnace are a little harder to cool down. The existing furnace is an Olson duomatic high efficiency with a single speed motor. I'm more that happy to pay whatever the cost is as long as I get the correct install.Thanks Fireguy.
    Last edited by fireguy; 04-03-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: mistakes

As the dealers how they arrived at size. How hot do you get? Even in Canada, 2 tons for 1950 sq ft 2 story seems small. 2.5 tons more like it. Even if 2 tons would cut it, could be an issue getting cold air to the farthest rooms upstairs with only 800 CFM of airflow too.

I agree with Baldloonie. Probably just a case of contractor 2 having a 2 ton sitting in his shop taking up space.

We do tons of houses of that size in here in Canada. Definitly would go with a 2.5 or even 3 ton unit.

I would veer away from Keeprite. Call a contractor that puts in Carrier or Goodman. Carrier Infinity ICS mated with a performance series Outdoor unit AC. Would pay for itself with just the savings it would give you over your current system. Ive put in tons of the Carrier Infinity and there awesome.

I think contractor #2 sized your A/C by your 18x8 supply duct.
    Not knowing the duct layout. I think your going to have high static with a 2.5 on your existing duct, and it will be noisey.
    I think you need more ductwork modification then either contractor is proposing. JMO.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

New Furnace

Tks for responding. I should have mentioned that Contractor #2 also wants to change the layout of the ductwork. Right now the cold air duct goes from the furnace along the main carrying beam to the centrally located cold air return and the hot air runs beside the cold air and then tucks alongside the carrying beam after the cold air stops and goes the length of the basement and reduces in size from 8" X 18" to 8" X 12" with the final two takeoffs going to the second flr hard to cool down front rooms. He plans on reversing the hot and the cold. I don't know if he is going to to leave the reduced side of the hot air as is. As far as the make of the furnace with all the different furnaces( pros and cons) my head is literally spinning.I heard that there may be an issue with oversizing the A/C that the bigger unit would cool it down faster but not remove all of the moisture. I live in southern Ontario where the temp. ranges from extreme -13F(-25C) to 100F(38C) normal -0.4F(-18) to 86F(30C). Similar to Buffalo, NY less snow.
    Fireguy

Ok, he's planning on increasing your duct sizes is ny guess then, And it should help those 2 rooms stay closer to the rest of the house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?