+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold Weather and Digitals ?

Post Likes

Hmm Cold Weather and Digitals ?

Since I mostly teach (inside where it is warm) I never have a problem with Y/J Digital Gauges. However one student went to a Supply House(one of the largest) to purchase them and was told "We won't stock them, they don't work in cold weather" ? Is anyone experiencing this. Thanks in advance.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    My Digi-Cool BTD-1000 works fine down into the upper teens, which is the coldest it has been here in the 3 years I have had them.
    The LCD display slows down a little, but that is pretty much par for the course for any LCD display in cold weather.

weber is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    It gets pretty cold here, and I have no issues.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Keep them with you at night on the real cold ones just like you would with any other digital tool. Meters and such...
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    They are full of crap. Mine hang in my truck in -40 to whatever. I use them all the time servicing transport reefers and have had no problems. They take much more of a beating doing the work I do than what my kid or others in the residential or commercial trade do. Not only in severe weather but around oil, diesel fuel, grease mud, snow, falling from the top of truck units to the cement and have had no issues with them. I would think there is some other motive or they are just ignorant about them.

The one thing that has always pissed me about them though is the wired temp probes with the strap. Lockhart is making changes with them hopefully soon.

Post Likes
    I also had a Testo 523 that I tested a couple of months ago and there was no problem with it in the same weather as the Digicool. I use a Fluke 179 in the same ambient conditions and have never had a problem with it, in fact all my digital instruments stay in my service truck no matter the temperature. What the hell good would they be if they don't work in the same conditions that I do. Now if they were trying to sell the cheap digitals then they may have a point but not with the Digicool or Testo.

Post Likes

Smile

I just found out that a local "Appliance-Parts house is carrying the Y/J's.
    So much for the big gun.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    Since I mostly teach (inside where it is warm) I never have a problem with Y/J Digital Gauges. However one student went to a Supply House(one of the largest) to purchase them and was told "We won't stock them, they don't work in cold weather" ? Is anyone experiencing this. Thanks in advance.

Mine worked fine this winter down to -10. Where's the counter guy getting his information? Bourdon Tubes R Us
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    can't be worse than my liquid filled analogs, they were froze yesterday!! Don't know what they are rated at, but must not be low enough!
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    your large supply house is making an excuse not to stock an item, because of inventory overhead!

idiots!!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in