Infinity low fan speed inefficiencies?

Just got an Infinity 25HNA936+FE4ANF006. Thanks to all for the hundreds of relevant posts. My only regret is I didn't get a Coleman bid :-)

A preference is an always-on low-fan with variable speed as needed. The always-on low filters and evens out the temp, the auto provides the boost as needed.

Something that is not at all clear is the performance of the system when it is on the low, always-on, fan setting. This setting was recommended by another user, but he couldn't answer the questions: 1) What happens in the heat cycle needs more performance? Does it bump up the speed, or turn on the auxiliary strip, or just underperform until equilibrium, or? 2) What happens with the outside unit in the low on during various demands? Carrier seems a bit mum here.

I can also second the "screen the installer" advice. But companies seem to put their best performers with good communication skills at the bid end. At the install end (this has also happened with electricians, window install, etc) you get what you get and mistakes are made. I now have ductwork that is not as agreed.

Thanks! (2nd try, 1st post didn't go through)

Billster

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Billster View Post

Just got an Infinity 25HNA936+FE4ANF006. Thanks to all for the hundreds of relevant posts. My only regret is I didn't get a Coleman bid :-)
    Is this Twilli in disguise ?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

1) What happens in the heat cycle needs more performance? Does it bump up the speed, or turn on the auxiliary strip, or just underperform until equilibrium, or? 2) What happens with the outside unit in the low on during various demands?
    Constant Fan = speed the fan will run when there is NO call for heat or cool.

System will adjust fan speed to match heat or cool call.

When heat or cool demand is satisfied, fan will return to constant fan setting.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Benny can elaborate more.

Blower should increase speed to move more CFM when controller calls for first stage heat.
    When controller calls for second stage, the blower should again increase in speed.
    When the controller energizes the strip heaters, if they rewuire more CFM, the blower should increase in speed again.(performance/economy settings effect all of this also)
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As Beenthere Describes your Infinity furnace and controller should bascally run itself once your system is set-up !! Best thing to do during the heating and cooling times is to set your desired tempurture and set your fan on low speed fan on position and let the infinity controls take over how yur systems runs as it will run based on several factors, based one outside temps, relative humidity, and indoor temps are all taken into account thru your controller and furnace and will best select the fan speed, stage of heating and or cooling required for the given temps of your enviroment. Also should anything change in your ducting along the way or you close off a damper or vents to your furnace the infinity will do a self check and take notice of these changes and again readjust itself and continue to run as efficient as it did before. Should there every be too much static pressure or loss of static pressure your infinity controller will notify you thru your controller of whenthis event occcured and therefore let your contractor repairman know exactly when it happened and make life easier for the repair. So my advise to you is to set your desired temp that is comfortable for you and leave it there and let the Infinity controller and furnace or Airhandler do it's thing.

Just had a system same as yours installed. System operates as described. If you are running in COMFORT mode it will actually slow down blower as it gets colder out to maintain supply temperatures.

Also could you please comment on the noise level of your outdoor unit especially when it is in low stage? Mine is pretty annoying. Waiting for area Carrier rep to return from vacation. Dealer seems to think it is normal.

Thanks

I run my fan on low. When there's a call for heat, it shuts down the fan, the inducer kicks on and the it turns on the blower at whatever speed the controller sees fit. Once the heat cycle is done and the fan stopped, the controller turns the fan back on low.

Thanks for the replies. This is quite a site. I once participated in a book that was a collection of advice from (perhaps) a hundred or two gardeners. It was easy and fun. I was not compensated, but they sold me as many books as I wanted at 50% off. Don't get to know me too well or it may be your Christmas present. Anyways, the valuable info here is ripe for such a venture.

It is great to hear that the system should work as desired. I will try a test by setting the stat a few degrees higher. Surprisingly, my new system has much less air flow out of the registers than the old oil system, making the test a little harder. Part of that is a few more ducts and a few larger vents, but the other part is the "high fan" is only 1050 cfm. This was lower than expected.

I was also surprised by the exterior noise level. It sounds a bit like a higher pitched hum (on the order of a kilohertz, I'll listen this weekend on the test).

- Billster

Question

It sounds a bit like a higher pitched hum (on the order of a kilohertz, I'll listen this weekend on the test).
    How does one's ear distinguish between
    a KILL-O- Hurts
    and a MEg A-Hurts?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    How does one's ear distinguish between
    a KILL-O- Hurts
    and a MEg A-Hurts?
    There's a formula. Something to do with amount of blood/ear/second. Never could figure it out though cause it's in milliliters.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

It is disappointing to here about the noise. I was hoping there was something wrong with mine that could be fixed. Starting to think I should have gone with the Lennox XP19.