Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kinky pictures

With 24" channel locks I would have a hard time reproducing those results.....

I have never seen a carrier unit delivered in that condition. It is obvious the kink was made after the line was brazed in.
    I would really love to inspect that think. something smells bad and it isn't the factory.

Looking at it makes me think it was soldered in 90º out.....then twisted in so the bolts would hold it down....look at the liquid line...it's practically sitting on the comp. housing....and the direction of the twist...it turned clockwise after being brazed.......

Wrong compressor?

Topher,if you're going to be the one to take the access panel off, BE SURE TO KILL THE POWER TO THIS UNIT FIRST. There,now I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Wrong compressor?
    From what I can see it is.

Looking at it makes me think it was soldered in 90 out.....then twisted in so the bolts would hold it down....look at the liquid line...it's practically sitting on the comp. housing....and the direction of the twist...it turned clockwise after being brazed...
    Well,it would be hard to solder that back side if they did it any other way.

Look closely at pic#1,the paint on the compressor shell is burnt/discolored.I know that isn't from the factory,look at the paint on the suction line coupling. We all know that look.I think somebodys been inside before.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Shouldn't the compressor be centered on the black plate underneath it??Sound deading plate.Looks like shpping damage to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Shouldn't the compressor be centered on the black plate underneath it??Sound deading plate.Looks like shpping damage to me.
    I'll bet it would be if that's the correct compressor.The factory wouldn't use that much solder.It's a decent solder,but looks to me like a field job to me.

dent and scratch unit with bad comp.?

rep. comp with wrong compressor (poorly)........see who bites?

dent and scratch unit with bad comp.?

rep. comp with wrong compressor (poorly)........see who bites?
    You might be onto something there. Hard to imagine that condenser left the factory like that. Easier to imagine the unit left the factory in fine condition, was installed poorly at another job, the compressor was murdered, the customer insisted on a new unit, the one removed had a new comp slapped in, new customer comes along and the hacked unit goes in...

Not saying it happened that way...no way to know for sure on this end. Just an idea...

At any rate, the OP has only one thing to do. Climb all over that installer until that kink is history. Not much else matters how it got there or why...the remedy is what matters, and that's what the contractor should provide with no qualms.

I don't see how an installer could miss that. When installing it, you have to take the panel off at some point to tie in the line voltage and control wiring. That twisted fitting would be right there, clearly visible.

I agree with others, that does NOT look like any kind of factory braze job I ever saw. Well, there was this one Engineered Air unit I got that looked like it was worked over by a Refrigerant Piping 101 class, but never from one of the big OEMs.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I'm with Big Jon. Of course as long as you tell the customer that is what they are getting fine. It doesn't appear to be the case here though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast