Can you help me decide?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a home owner getting 2 new Furnace/Air units for our home. The house is 6200 sf (approx 3100 per floor ) and currently has the original 31 yr old natural gas furnaces/ac units, made by GE 125,000 BTU. They work great and we have no problems...but they are obviously very inefficient. I live in Michigan

I need help deciding on which quote to go with. I will not give pricing. And I am removing the Goodman bid ONLY because it is from a terrible contractor, but I will include the equipment, since if you feel I should go with Goodman I will find another Goodman contractor.

here they are....

Lennox: G61 94% variable speed, 90,000 BTU, with WA1 lennox humidifier, BMAC Lennox air filter and Pro Stat thermostats (this is duplicate for the 2nd system) Air: Lennox XC13 a 42 and 48 BTUH cooling. Lennox air cleaner.

Amana: 96% variable speed, 115,000 BTU, with AprilAir 600 humidifier and AprilAir 2200 media air cleaner Air: 4 ton 13 seer Amana.

Goodman: 95%, variable speed, GMU95115, 115,000 BTU humidifier, media filters (brand not specified on proposal). Air: 1 4ton 14seer and 1 5 ton 14seer

There is a 4,000 difference between the Amana and Lennox quote(I hope I can say that). Both contractors seem to be equal in experience/quality.

So, which would you purchase? I am looking for reliability in equipment and low maintenance ... I want to get maximum life out of this investment. I am a little concerned that the Lennox dealer is quoting 90,000 BTU and everyone else quoted 115,000. He feels the 115,000 is overkill.

I understand the equipment is only as good as the contractor who installed it... but are Goodman, Amana and Lennox all really equal?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me in making this decision. I usually have NO PROBLEMS making decision, but this one has me nervous.

Ask the dealers how they arrived at size. I would feel that replacing 125K clunkers with 115K 95s is way oversized. We always measure and size right, just typically replace 125-137K oldies with 80K 90+ models. But again only the right measurements will tell. Same with A/C sizing. Bigger is less efficient and dehumidifies less. New units take longer to get to full cold which means any oversize worsens the moisture removal issue. Since the Lennox dealer is quoting the smallest equipment, my guess is he didn't!

Amana & Lennox is comparable quality, Goodman is cheaper stuff to compete with builder units from other brands.

Just a couple of thoughts -- GOODMAN and AMANA both made by GOODMAN. AMANA (caddillac) vs GOODMAN (chevy). I am a dealer for all three lines. Goodman/Amana offers best warranties out of the box -- 10 yr all parts and Lifetime on heat exchangers. Lifetime on compressors for small $$$. NOBODY can compare with this. You have descripencies between offerings. Which contractors did "load calculations"? You must demand this! I live in N TX but have lived in Michigan. 90K BTUH might be low. Get your contract with "comfort guarantee" i.e. will maintain a set temp during all conditions and extremes. Generic recommendation w/o knowing specifics 90%+ VS furnaces, 13/14 SEER AC with media filters and humidifiers. NOTE: most VS speed blowers will give increased SEER value on AC systems i.e. 13 SEER base will yield 14 SEER actual.

The 115,000 BTU 95% furnaces are higher output then the old furnaces.
    Why do they want to up size the heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

none of the 4 contractors have done calculations. They have taken the home's square footage on each level, looked at the old system and came up with a system size they felt appropriate.

I am waiting on one other quote from Bryant, but since its been over a week and he hasn't made contact, I assume he's not interested in giving me a price.

so it seems, there may not be a need to go to a Lennox model for 4,000 more, just becuase its Lennox....the Amana would do?

Before I call the contractors, I need to make sure I understand what calculation I will be asking them to do.... "A load calculation"?

thanks for the input so far.

Manual J load calculation.
    Many contractors won't do one.
    Many don't know how.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?