+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hoshizaki 3 beeps, evaporator covered with ice

Post Likes

hoshizaki 3 beeps, evaporator covered with ice

Model is KML-450MAH.
    3 beep error code, freeze time exceeded 60 min. Evaporator had lots of ice on it, I ran it on circulate and long pieces of ice came down had to reach in and push ice into bin cause it wasn't in small pieces. When I arrived the machine had already been turned off. I wouldn't expect and evaporator full of ice on this error code. Thermistor submerged in ice water reads 4.94 K ohms. It is within spec. Suggestions please.
    The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know.

Post Likes
    bad float ?

Post Likes
    Get the manual out

Post Likes
    So...why is ur freeze time exceeding 60 mins?

You had a freeze up and u need to fill out a freeze up checklist to figure out why it froze up. Here's a few main causes
    1: dirty evap
    2 dirty evap....yes make sure its clean...worth mentioning twice
    3 water pressure....these units use a water assisted harvest so make sure u have plenty pressure AND flow thru the inlet valve.
    4. Bin stat...make sure its functioning properly

Post Likes
    X2 float

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    So...why is ur freeze time exceeding 60 mins?

You had a freeze up and u need to fill out a freeze up checklist to figure out why it froze up. Here's a few main causes
    1: dirty evap
    2 dirty evap....yes make sure its clean...worth mentioning twice
    3 water pressure....these units use a water assisted harvest so make sure u have plenty pressure AND flow thru the inlet valve.
    4. Bin stat...make sure its functioning properly
    Add to the list:
    Refrigerant Charge
    X-Valve
    Head Pressure
    Plate seperation.
    (did scott say dirty evap?)

Post Likes
    Most freeze ups are caused from dirty evaps and/or low water pressure. To thoroughly clean a hoshi that hasn't been maintained, you're going to need a 1/2 day or longer. The water system needs to be completely disassembled and parts cleaned/soaked in cleaner. Hoshi makes a square stiff bristle brush that fits in between the dividers on the plates. If you forsee a lot of cleanings I'd recommend getting one from your supplier. One place that's overlooked during cleaning is the nipple that the float switch cup fits on. Sediment gets stuck in the nipple. I would think Hoshi has a step by step on cleaning the units. If not, just start a thread in the pro section. That will prevent restaurant owners from reading and breaking their machines because they have no clue what they're doing
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I just love it when I go on a call and customer says, no its clean I just cleaned it. I always take pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Most freeze ups are caused from dirty evaps and/or low water pressure. To thoroughly clean a hoshi that hasn't been maintained, you're going to need a 1/2 day or longer. The water system needs to be completely disassembled and parts cleaned/soaked in cleaner. Hoshi makes a square stiff bristle brush that fits in between the dividers on the plates. If you forsee a lot of cleanings I'd recommend getting one from your supplier. One place that's overlooked during cleaning is the nipple that the float switch cup fits on. Sediment gets stuck in the nipple. I would think Hoshi has a step by step on cleaning the units. If not, just start a thread in the pro section. That will prevent restaurant owners from reading and breaking their machines because they have no clue what they're doing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I just love it when I go on a call and customer says, no its clean I just cleaned it. I always take pictures.
    I used to do work for a local Mexican restaurant chain. The owner had instructed his employees to watch us each time we were out repairing the ice machine so they could fix it themselves. Every call consisted of putting the machine back together before diagnosing. Thankfully he only had Manitowocs
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    This could be a variety of issues that could cause this. Check the plates to see if they need cleaned, whatever controls the unit to tell it to go into harvest needs checked and check the hot has valve for proper oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Plugged water inlet screen. Water filter? What size water line feeding it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Refservice View Post
    This could be a variety of issues that could cause this. Check the plates to see if they need cleaned, whatever controls the unit to tell it to go into harvest needs checked and check the hot has valve for proper oops.

Post Likes
    Clean the little spring dohicky too

Post Likes
    Yep the bypass valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohead View Post
    Clean the little spring dohicky too

Post Likes
    Was the ice on the plate in patches or was the plate covered pretty evenly with ice upon issue?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I used to do work for a local Mexican restaurant chain. The owner had instructed his employees to watch us each time we were out repairing the ice machine so they could fix it themselves. Every call consisted of putting the machine back together before diagnosing. Thankfully he only had Manitowocs
    Used to do a bunch of McDonalds that would do the same thing. Only I had to re-clean the machines every time before reassembling what they'd taken apart.
    Every time I'd get a call for one if them I'd call the office back and tell them to clear my afternoon, I'd be tied up for a while..........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Get the manual out
    That response is a lot of help. If you have nothing constructive to add, just stay at home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    That response is a lot of help. If you have nothing constructive to add, just stay at home.
    To service these machines you need the manual. I don't try and remember the pressures that the factory wants at 5 min in or at the end of defrost, can you?

18. Likes flangehead liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is the 4.9 reading accurate?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    While his statement is blunt...think about it tho.

I've read ice machine manuals over and over and over...and that is why they no longer scare me. Those things tell u a wealth of info.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in