Confused Carrier vs Trane - HO needs help

Hi All,

This is my first post - I've read the rules and I think I'm OK posting this question - if not, just let me know and accept my apologies.

I have a heat pump. The inside unit is only 1 yar old, but I need a new outdoor unit (Condensor I think is the correct term). I have 4 bids - two Trane and two Carrier. I've been reading the posts here and understand that the quality of the installation is as important as the brand name. But I also see that it is important to make sure I am comparing apples to apples as far as whether the unites are low-end, high-end, etc. That's where I need help.

One bid is for a Trane 13 Seer XR13 Climatuff (not sure this is the full model # but it is all I have). It has a 10-year warranty

One bid is for a Trane 13 Seer 2TWB3048. It has a 5-year warranty

One bid is for a Crane 25HBR348A003 R-22. It has a 5-year warranty.

The final bid is also a 13 Seer Crane 25HBR with a 5 year warranty.

All companies check out very well with BBB but there is a huge difference in pricing. Can anyone tell me if these models are comparable?? Any help will be appreciated.

rpoling

It is always best to have a matched system and of the same brand/manufacturer.

Since you have a relatively new inside unit, then I would suggest an outside matched HP as your starting point.

What is the brand and model number of your inside unit?

IMO

That's a great point! It is a Carrier FX4DNF005.

You better stay with a Bryant or Carrier outside. Especially important in heat pumps not to mismatch the indoor coil.

Are you sure that the Carrier model number is FX4DNF005 and not FX4BNF005 or FX4CNF005? I can't find any ARI data for a FX4DNF005. I agree--stay with Carrier/Bryant.

rpoling

The FX model Carrier air handler is Carrier's Comfort series, Puron (R-410a) refrigerant. It appears you require a 4 ton HP condenser.

I suggest you look at the matching Comfort mdl 25HCA348.

Here are the performance numbers on two configurations.

791497 Active OEM COMFORT 13 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCA348A30 FX4CN(B,F)060 48000 12.00 15.00 44000 8.70 30000

790925 Active OEM COMFORT 13 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCA348A30 FX4CN(B,F)048 47500 11.70 14.50 47500 8.60 30000

Rather poor in heating BTUs with the larger air handler.

As Baldloonie says, you could also look at the matching Bryant model.

I think this is your best bet if you intend on keeping the inside FX air handler.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rpoling View Post
    One bid is for a Crane 25HBR348A003 R-22. It has a 5-year warranty.
    I would avoid the Crane unit

Good luck.

Tigerdunes, I don't think that's the air handler he has--even if 1 letter may be off, I can tell by the way the sizing is portrayed at the end of the model number. The FX4C air handlers have X13 motors, which is why the efficiency is higher than one would probably expect (see: http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/fx4c-4pd.pdf).