Equipment question -

Hi folks, newb here!
    been reading up on these boards for a few days now as we are days away from having equipment installed. i have a few questions:
    we are going with two 3-ton split systems. two 14seer a/c units, 2 2stg/var spd furnaces. i was pretty sure i wanted to go with A/S-Trane.
    we are contemplating the allegiance 14 and the freedom 80 2stg/var spd.
    we were offered the honeywell f100 from one company and the HC with merv16 rating .... we would like "cleaner" air and we know this requires effort on our parts..... cleaning floors, carpets, shelves, cabinet tops etc... but what should we add that will help to clean air we breathe and air the equipment uses all while not choking off the equipment?
    thanks,

aaron

your salesmen didn't explain this ?

yes, they did, but i was seeking the advice from knowledgable folks in the industry who do not stand to directly benifit from our purchase. i have gotten contradictory and conflicting information from contractors wishing to gain business.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyejedi View Post
    yes, they did, but i was seeking the advice from knowledgable folks in the industry who do not stand to directly benifit from our purchase. i have gotten contradictory and conflicting information from contractors wishing to gain business.

Hmm, Trane and AS systems...wonder what air cleaner you should get ...

That's easy: http://trane.com/Residential/CleanAir/CleanEffects.aspx

Also, what part of the country are you in?? Will tell me whether or not you should splurge for dual-fuel.

we are southern california in the santa monica mountains. not quite 'valley hot' ,but not coastal cool either.
    it get into the upper 90's in peak summer, jul-sept and regulary low 40's and even a few frosts in the winter. we plan to run our much of the day to circulate air.
    from what i gather:
    the higher a filter's rating, 9x.xx%, means more will collect on whatever element/grid will be doing the cleaning. so do higher rated filters restrict equipment more?

i would we are attempting to eliminate dander, dust, and possible mold. as for pee odors, well we are eliminating the source before anything else. also, i think mites are source of periodic itchiness for myself. this is something i would like to remedy. thanks again.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Any better filter will be more restrictive to air flow.Your contractor must check the duct "static pressure"(resistance to air flow),to determine if a better filter can be added without the ducts being modified(changes that will reduce the duct static).

If they can't check the static,any many can't ,find someone else.

High static is more costly to operate ,with variable speed fans.

Mites are best controlled by low indoor relative humidity, <50%.This can usually be accomplished with ,the correct size system,variable speed fan,two stage compressor(outdoor unit),and great dehumidification controls.Carrier's Infinity control is tops,but whatever brand you pick,learn about the dehumidification control they will provide,before buying.

Running the fan all the time tends to raise the humidity during the cooling season,as air gets ciculated over a wet coil,while the compressor is not runninig.Some system shut the fan down to let the coil drain,before it comes back on without cooling.Plus some pans today a better sloped to drain more completely.I'd ask about these features also,before deciding.

our ducting is archaic and will have to be replaced where possible. would a static check even be worth inquiring about in my situation? the bodies for these filter cartridges are similar right, so would i be able to adjust filter thickness in the future to accomodate for air flow or...?

Nothing says their replacing the duct with a size different then what is already there.
    So if its undersized now, good chance it will be undersized after they replace it.

Going from a standard blower to a VS, best to have the ducts checked now. VS blowers can make your duct system noisey, as they will speed up to move the air they are set for, unlike the blower you are use to.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by redeyejedi View Post
    our ducting is archaic and will have to be replaced where possible. would a static check even be worth inquiring about in my situation? the bodies for these filter cartridges are similar right, so would i be able to adjust filter thickness in the future to accomodate for air flow or...?
    If they are redesigning the entire system correctly,no need to test,but it only takes minutes to do,if they can't test,I'd be concerned about their redesign capability.