Thread: torch kit???

torch kit???

I've been doing residential service for about 2 years now, and i don't have much experience brazing. I've been told lately to get a torch kit (tank provided by company) and start practicing soldering and brazing on my own time and on the job. what set up would anyone recommend? i think I'm just looking for a turbo torch. I've also heard it called a B-tank.

Turbo torch and B tanks are two different things. I use oxy-actylene myself. I can get a nice hot flame and control it better than the B tanks.

What did you do before that you don't have a lot of torch time? I typically go through a set of tanks in about a week and a half. But that may be because we do a lot of new construction and our installers suck at brazing.

we have a small service dept, 7 to be exact. 3 of which are new to the trade.
    so only our 2 senior techs will do anything that takes any experience. And the closest i get to a cut and set would be helping them. and since I've been there a while i guess i would be more use full if i could do some of the harder jobs.
    Also i would like to be able to do plumbing repairs.
    what exactly is the difference of a turbo torch and a b-tank?

I have a oxy-actylene made by uniweld and a rose-bud tip (gets real hot) and Capt'n Hook tips,the kit came with a cutting touch but I never used it. I also have a Turbo Torch self igniting Air/Acetylene kit which uses a "B" tank and I keep an extra B-tank as back up
    If your not part of the solution, You must be part of the problem

A, B-Tank is the size of an Acetylene Bottle. I use an MC tank along with Oxygen for my Oxy-Actylene Rig.

The nameing of the Acetlyene bottles come from way way back. when head lamps on vehicles ran off of Acetlyene. B-tanks were used for Buses, and MCs were used on MotorCars.

The type of Torch you use depends on what you are brazing. Silver Solder and Copper works best (IMO) with a Oxy-Act rig. Soft Softer, Used in most plumbing, I use a Mapp gas Turbo Torch.

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    I have a oxy-actylene made by uniweld and a rose-bud tip (gets real hot) and Capt'n Hook tips,

Two questions..............

1) Is the Cap't hook tip worth the money??

2) Is this the same one United Sells?

I need one, been thinking about getting the Smith Quickbraze setup.........but if I can just spend a fraction of the money for a new tip and use my existing oxy/actylene setup, that seems to mkae more sense. I think I heard some negative stuff awhile back tho.......??

Quote Originally Posted by James3703 View Post
    I've been doing residential service for about 2 years now, and i don't have much experience brazing. I've been told lately to get a torch kit (tank provided by company) and start practicing soldering and brazing on my own time and on the job. what set up would anyone recommend? i think I'm just looking for a turbo torch. I've also heard it called a B-tank.
    What do the mechanics who are going to teach you how to braze use?

I would think the smart move would be to purchase the same setup that the majority of them have or recommend.

I have both and oxy rig and a turbo.

I use the Turbo most of the time. I started out with it doing mostly construction and it is easier (for me) too use when I cant see all the way around the joint or when its really close to wood or studs.
    Another thing I like about it is if you are doing repairs you can buy and adapter and use it on a MC tank. This makes it light for carrying to the roof.

I still use the oxy rig when I'm brazing in valve's or something where speed is a factor and I don't want things to get to hot.

If I where doing it all over again I would want to master the Turbo first and then the oxy not the other way around like I did.

The best advice I ever had about brazing copper is always cap the joints.

Good Luck
    Scooter

UA Local 630
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    RSES
    FL. Class A License

www.enterpriseaire.com

Quote Originally Posted by bustawrench1 View Post
    Two questions..............

1) Is the Cap't hook tip worth the money??

2) Is this the same one United Sells?

I need one, been thinking about getting the Smith Quickbraze setup.........but if I can just spend a fraction of the money for a new tip and use my existing oxy/actylene setup, that seems to mkae more sense. I think I heard some negative stuff awhile back tho.......??

Bustawrench;
    The Quickbraze multiflame & c style tip's are nice and fast. There was a seller on flea bay selling the new complete kit (everything but the tank's) for a Ben Franklin. Bought mine from him a couple month's ago. If you want to get the new lifetime warranty, you'll have to go to a supply house & get one that has it stamped into the torch body, but you'll spend $$ more!

The different rigs all have their plusses and minuses. Do a search for many threads on this subject. Off the top of my head:
    Turbotorch: You can use it with straight propane, MAPP gas, or Acetalyne only. It is the most forgiving flame, in that it's a large flame that heats evenly. It's typically 3000 degrees and will not melt the copper.
    However, it's a big flame. Easy to burn things you don't want to.
    I keep a MAPP turbo on the truck for the smaller stuff, just because it's so compact and easy to carry.

Oxy/Acet: My favorite. I use a kangaroo set (small). I like the hot, tight flame because it's fast (heat migrates less), but you have to be careful not to blow a hole through the copper.

I don't do soft solder, so I don't have a plumber's torch.

Yes, I think the Captain Hook is worth the money.

I have and use three different torch setups depending on what I need to do. I have a Prest-O-Lite Oxy-Acetylene rig with a variety of tips, a Turbo-Torch B-tank rig with several tips and a Lenox MC bottle rig with a variety of tips. I mostly use the MC rig since it's small and lightweight, my employer does not supply B-tanks so I don't use that one much at all. I will use the Oxy-Acetylene rig when I need a tight hot flame as when I'm brazing in a TEV on a small reach-in reefer, I can dial that flame in real tight and get into some very small spaces and close to cabinet walls when necessary.
    All three have their uses and I believe service techs should be proficient with all varieties of torches because you may get into a situation where you have to utilize someone else's torch to get your job done. I've been more than once borrowing one of our plumber's torches to finish a job when mine decided to mess up on me.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I have the quickbraze setup and it works much better than a victor setup I used to use. I even solder 1/2" and 3/4" with the captin hook. Apply heat and solder at same time and you're done. The handle is so light that it took some getting used to.