Thread: Heat Pump Advice

Post Likes

Heat Pump Advice

I just had a HVAC professional tell me my upstairs system needs to be replace. The system consists of a Bryant 2 ton outdoor unit 661CJ024 and a Carrier inside unit that is in the attic. The guy told me that the system was out of refrigerant due to stress cracks in the copper piping inside the outdoor unit. He told me that the whole system would have to be replace because they no longer sell the outdoor unit that is capable with the indoor unit I already have. This system is right at 10 years old.

Does any this make sense to any other professionals that might be out there?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by aphicks142; 04-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Post Likes
    Carrier may have new OD units that match up to that air handler.
    Call a Carrier contractor.
    It is possible that they don't make one. Its because of the 13 SEER min law.

PS: no posting of prices allowed. Please edit out.

Post Likes
    Sorry about that...I didn't realize that was a rule (even though it is clearly posted right above this post I just edited my original post.

Post Likes
    If your contractor is being straight with you about the problem -- how many leaks did he find? Is possible one leak could be repaired and provide satisfactory service again. He is generally correct with the compatibality issues -- not the best scenario to replace mismatched SEER components, and especially new outside and old inside.

If you must replace get system with R410A refrigerant.

Post Likes
    The contractor told me there were multiple stress cracks. He didn't say exactly how many. He said that it was not repairable.

Otherwise the system seems to work fine.

Post Likes
    possible. I would say even more likely near a coastline.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you are saying the system heats/cools fine and the contractor is saying it's out of refrigerant. If your are sure that's what he said and also sure the system heats/cools fine then you have been given false advice. Find another service company.

Post Likes
    I missed where he said its was heating or cooling fine.

Post Likes
    Yeah, it doesn't heat or cool. However, both the out side and inside unit run, but the temp is always neutral.

Post Likes
    Ohh please don't run it....don't know if you are but make sure not to if it's in that condition....

Post Likes
    No, I have cut off the unit. But I am pretty sure I ran it for awhile before I realize it wasn't working. The downstairs furnace heated the upstairs pretty well, so I didn't notice.

Post Likes
    Just an observation since I'm not there...

Sounds like system is completely out of charge....If it wasn't you would have frost issues.

System probably ran because it has no protection like a low pressure switch or it has gone bad....if it did you would know right off the bat....it wouldn't run.

If system runs in a situation where it has no ref. in it and it just sucking/blowing air then you have a bad situation......The cost to repair is probably not worth it....again an observation so take it for what it's worth.

Best approach would probably be new system replacement or has beenthere said check into a matching outdoor unit....for the reasons mentioned prior.

Unfortunately these things never come at good times.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in