Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mchild View Post
    Do a search on this site for some of the discussions abut SEER, how it is calculated, and how EER (not SEER) is a better method to compare units when in a hot climate like Texas. SEER has become a marketing item - enough said. Two staged outdoor units will provide you with much greater humidity control which will allow for a higher setting on your t-stat which will save you operating costs. While they should not be sold as an energy saver, there is potential for savings over a single stage unit.
    Very refreshing to hear an HVAC pro on this site that understands the SEER calc, and tells it like it is.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    beenthere

When I get home I recheck the NG rate. The one listed seemed to be what I'm paying. I may be wrong. Still I'm paying $65 a month (on the budget plan) for NG. That included heating, range, DHW, and dryer. NG rates in Texas are reasonable compared to the deregulated electric rates (most are paying 14.5 cents). Electricity only seems to go up an arm and a leg every year .

If I had an all electric house I would definitely look into a heat pump.

Still it wouldn't surprise me to be paying a lot less for NG heating. My bill (if I wasn't on the budget plan) in the winter months has never gone above $100. So I'm looking at around $30 to $50 more per month when in the heating season.
    With gas rates as low as you imply, I would be looking to find a contractor that could install a gas driven heat pump.

http://www.columbiagaspamd.com/produ..._heat_pump.htm

gary

I questioned the install guy and was told that I would be getting the TXV as part of the install. The EER rating is one of the reasons I'm going with the Goodman unit as opposed to the Trane & Lenox. I feel I'm getting the most bang for my buck. Besides, as is told by most of the crowd on this site, the install is one of the most important factors for a new HVAC.

Would suggest you look at AMANA 80% VS furnace (AMV80???) combined with AMANA 16 SEER two stage AC condenser. AMANA made by GOODMAN and is their caddillac VS chevy. A little more $$$ but will put you on par with LENNOX and others. Will give you benefits you are looking for. I am GOODMAN/AMANA and LENNOX dealer. I live in N TX and cannot justify 90% furnaces on gas savings/payback alone in this area.

beenthere

I looked more closely at my NG gas bill and my rate is .0134 while my electric is 13.8. I pluged in the new numbers and came up with the following:
    Heat pump: $1.62
    Natural gas: $1.37

So NG is still the winner. I may be paying a higher rate in a little while for electricity as my contract will soon be up and will have to go with another rate. My gas bill for February was $47.

AACHP

I didn't look at Amana as the guy I had do the estimate doesn't sell them. He does sell Trane but didn't recommend them over the Goodman. I would like to have a 2 stage compressor but not sure that I want to mix anther bid at this late date. Been through several already and this guy comes highly recommended and has been in the business for a long time. I do appreciate the feedback

AACHP

I took a look at ARI# 1401972 which seems to be Amana's highest rated outdoor unit with the following specs:
    • Outdoor Unit Model Number: ASX180481A*
    • Combined with Indoor Unit Model Number: CA*F4961*6A*+TXV+A*V80905C**
    • Manufactured by: AMANA HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING
    • Under the Trade/Brand name: ASX18 SERIES
    • Has been rated in accordance with
      ARI Standard 210/240-2005 for UNITARY AIR-CONDITIONING AND AIR-SOURCE HEAT PUMP EQUIPMENTand is certified by the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute to meet the following product performance ratings:
    • Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 48000
    • EER Rating (Cooling): 12.90
    • SEER Rating (Cooling): 17.00

Unless this unit is less expensive than what I was quoted I don't see how 1 SEER higher and .3 EER lower will make that much difference. I'm already getting the same warranty with the added 10 year Parts & Labor. Will that small difference significant reduce my electricity usage?

I do luv these what if scenerios ....

Might cost less.
    But no real cost savings in operation that it will pay for itself, if its a big cost increase.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    AACHP

I took a look at ARI# 1401972 which seems to be Amana's highest rated outdoor unit with the following specs:
    • Outdoor Unit Model Number: ASX180481A*
    • Combined with Indoor Unit Model Number: CA*F4961*6A*+TXV+A*V80905C**
    • Manufactured by: AMANA HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING
    • Under the Trade/Brand name: ASX18 SERIES
    • Has been rated in accordance with
      ARI Standard 210/240-2005 for UNITARY AIR-CONDITIONING AND AIR-SOURCE HEAT PUMP EQUIPMENTand is certified by the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute to meet the following product performance ratings:
    • Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 48000
    • EER Rating (Cooling): 12.90
    • SEER Rating (Cooling): 17.00

Unless this unit is less expensive than what I was quoted I don't see how 1 SEER higher and .3 EER lower will make that much difference. I'm already getting the same warranty with the added 10 year Parts & Labor. Will that small difference significant reduce my electricity usage?

I do luv these what if scenerios ....
    I can't speak for AACHP but I think he was suggesting you consider the ASX16 in the Amana line as it is about the same SEER/EER rating as the Goodman, BUT is a two stage compressor. This is where you will see greater comfort and maybe a little lower operating cost.

mchild & beenthere

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the feedback. I just wasn't sure what the Amana 16 and comparable furnace would by me. I'll take a closer look and see. I'm not sure if the guy I'm dealing with can even get Amana stuff. I'll call and see.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12