Bryant Heat Pump Defrost Method?

I received a quote on a Bryant Evolution Hybrid Heat Dual Fuel System today. The Heat Pump in the quote is Bryant Model 286ANA. I asked the guy that did the estimate if the Heat Pump was demand defrost and his response was that "the Evolution Series Controller doesn't require a defrost cycle for the heat pump". I don't think he is correct, but I've been wrong before. Does the Bryant Heat Pump 286ANA have demand defrost or a timed defrost cycle? Thanks for your help.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magoo View Post
    I received a quote on a Bryant Evolution Hybrid Heat Dual Fuel System today. The Heat Pump in the quote is Bryant Model 286ANA. I asked the guy that did the estimate if the Heat Pump was demand defrost and his response was that "the Evolution Series Controller doesn't require a defrost cycle for the heat pump". I don't think he is correct, but I've been wrong before. Does the Bryant Heat Pump 286ANA have demand defrost or a timed defrost cycle? Thanks for your help.

Mike
    It uses a time/temp defrost with an algorithm to adjust the runtime intervals between defrosts based upon the actual duration of the previous defrost. AFAIK.

This is only on the communicating condensers. The non-communicating condensers use the standard time/temp boards.

Thank you for the response. Can I use a different brand heat pump (one with demand defrost) with the Bryant evolution controller or would that be a mistake?

Thanks,
    Mike

Thank you for the response. Can I use a different brand heat pump (one with demand defrost) with the Bryant evolution controller or would that be a mistake?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yes, you can use a different brand heap pump condensing unit, but you'd have to use a NIM network interface module to operate it.

Model SYSTXBBNIM01

Demand defrost can provide added efficiency, but if you lose efficiency by mixmatching the system then you wouldn't be accomplishing anything. The Infinity defrost algorithm is closer to demand defrost than the standard time/temp boards. I don't know whether a demand defrost board in the Carrier condenser would improve efficiency much. At up to 21 SEER and HSPFs up to 9.0, I don't know what the problem is with what they're using.

I know this sounds insane, but many years down the road (after my heat pump warranty has exipired), I am considering doing a poor man's hybrid ground source/air heat pump. I have an idea that I could put in an underground tank to act as an energy storage unit. After the freon line leaves the house it would go through a heat exchanger submerged in the tank. Then it would enter the air source heat pump as normal. I would recharge the underground tank via a combination of solar panels and an underground loop. I have a backhoe and the land, so the cost of this experiment is low. I know there are a lot of technical issues including the temperature range of the freon and damage to the compressor. I have years to refine the methodology.

But, I think a demand defrost air source heat pump better fits my long term misguided plan.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Mike

I know this sounds insane, but many years down the road (after my heat pump warranty has exipired), I am considering doing a poor man's hybrid ground source/air heat pump. I have an idea that I could put in an underground tank to act as an energy storage unit. After the freon line leaves the house it would go through a heat exchanger submerged in the tank. Then it would enter the air source heat pump as normal. I would recharge the underground tank via a combination of solar panels and an underground loop. I have a backhoe and the land, so the cost of this experiment is low. I know there are a lot of technical issues including the temperature range of the freon and damage to the compressor. I have years to refine the methodology.

But, I think a demand defrost air source heat pump better fits my long term misguided plan.

Mike
    good luck this is how people get rich!!!!

Mike
    sorry double post

Mike
    There was a hosptal in florida working that concept at night they made ice at low peak in underground in tanks to use to cool with during the day.

whoops
    Last edited by firecontrol; 04-02-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: LOL wrong post
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.