Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Attempted Ducane Heat Pump Theft - Need Help

Yesterday I attempted to turn on my AC for the first time in months. When I left my home it was 70 degrees inside. When I returned it was 75. I followed all the suggested troubleshooting measures and determined no power was getting to the unit. I called an HVAC guy out to the house today. Immediately upon seeing the unt he said "Oh no". Someone attempted to sever the liquid line and all the freon leaked out. He asked me did I know when it could have happened. I had no clue. I then asked if this could have affected my power bill since it has doubled over the past few months from my normal usage. I asked because I didn't think the fan outside was used when heating the home, but wanted to be sure. He told me this probably was a significant reason why.

To make a long story short, he told me he would charge $$$ to repair the unit. However, he noted that this may not work and the warranty would be void from Ducane even if the repair was successful. He then said I could get a new unit, but it would cost me $$$$.00. I called my homeowners insurance agency and they are doing there thing. Should I just pay the $$$ and hope it works or go through my homeowners insurance for a new unit?

I currently have a 42ton: (outside) Model-HP10B42.
    Last edited by hummer28; 03-31-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Please re-read the site rules No Pricing allowed. Edit them out or someone else will.

File a police report to give to your insurance company.

Fix it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post
    Yesterday I attempted to turn on my AC for the first time in months. When I left my home it was 70 degrees inside. When I returned it was 75. I followed all the suggested troubleshooting measures and determined no power was getting to the unit. I called an HVAC guy out to the house today. Immediately upon seeing the unt he said "Oh no". Someone attempted to sever the liquid line and all the freon leaked out. He asked me did I know when it could have happened. I had no clue. I then asked if this could have affected my power bill since it has doubled over the past few months from my normal usage. I asked because I didn't think the fan outside was used when heating the home, but wanted to be sure. He told me this probably was a significant reason why.

To make a long story short, he told me he would charge $695 to repair the unit. However, he noted that this may not work and the warranty would be void from Ducane even if the repair was successful. He then said I could get a new unit, but it would cost me $5680.00. I called my homeowners insurance agency and they are doing there thing. Should I just pay the $700 and hope it works or go through my homeowners insurance for a new unit?

I currently have a 42ton: (outside) Model-HP10B42.
    You have a 3 1/2 ton unit which would be 42,000btuh's

Lots of outdoor units getting snagged around here. They've started using lifts to remove the units. The last one we replaced had the overhead lines knocked down. Hope they got a jolt out of that one.
    I'd say file a report and turn it in to your insurance.

That is a 10 SEER unit ,you should replace the indoor coil also. They only make 13 SEER now,any NEW unit will not match indoor section.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

I wonder if it was one of those guys from Florida.

With as long as it may have been open to the enviroment, drawing moisture in.
    A new system might be the better way to go.

Get acouple more estimates.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

repair

The service tech should be able to kick on the unit to see if the compressor starts , If so I would repair it .
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I wonder if it was one of those guys from Florida.

With as long as it may have been open to the enviroment, drawing moisture in.
    A new system might be the better way to go.

Get acouple more estimates.
    I agree, once a system is open its contaminated, who knows how long it had been open. YOur other problem is its 10 seer, 13 seer minimum which means an indoor coil replacement :/

insurance man, insurance. If you can use your home owners insurance and pay a 500 deductible or whatever if possible, probably a good route to choose if its possible.

Bryant made a air source indoor package unit about 12 years ago (example MH1AS036-A ) you might want to upgrade to. Everthing is indoors no outdoor unit

The pricing needs to be taken out of sammy's reply.

Make sure it was not your lawn guy happen to a customer of ours.
    If its not call police file report, make sure he files it as "BANDALISED" not theft or robbery. I would recommend the replacement of the system, avoid the technical problems that might pop up in the future.
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

somebody might have seen it happen .If the lines were cut bad it is really loud!

Replace it with a trane/american standard. The coils are mostly all aluminum Problem is if its there first theft, they won't know it till they've wrecked the unit
    You can't fix stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast