Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: humidity

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    AC Doc,

The themidistat will only allow the system to over cool up to 3 degrees.

In low load conditions, it is better then nothing, but it does not compare to whole house de-humidification.

I have a Themastor hooked into my Infinity system, and it works like a dream.

Also,
    the operating cost to overcool/ use the a/c for dehumidification is far higher then a high efficiency de-humidifier.

(Teddy, correct me if I am wrong) Thermastor has a 150 pt/day unit that draws under 7 amps at 120v. Thats pretty impressive.

Also, the de-humidifiers allow for fresh air to be programmed and or turned on and off.

With Thermidistat, I noticed some customers would complain of cold drafts when it was set for de-humidification.

That set up you have is the way to go its worth every dollar, I was trying to make do with what the h/o has. Its only a two year old carrier system, he might become suicidal if we tell hem to replace it
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Sometimes the customer can only afford so much. It would be great to give everyone the perfect system, But it is not going to happen. I may be wrong, but you may have to fix the MAIN problem and not have all the bells and whisles. It would be nice to have fresh air makeup and/or dehumidifier on every unit but it will not happen either. If the unit is sized properly, I have never had any issues with humidity with the 14 seer VS w/ dehumidification control units that I sell here.
    Too Few Pro Tech's & Too Many Parts Changer's.

Quote Originally Posted by KirtusJon View Post
    Sometimes the customer can only afford so much. It would be great to give everyone the perfect system, But it is not going to happen. I may be wrong, but you may have to fix the MAIN problem and not have all the bells and whisles. It would be nice to have fresh air makeup and/or dehumidifier on every unit but it will not happen either. If the unit is sized properly, I have never had any issues with humidity with the 14 seer VS w/ dehumidification control units that I sell here.

What you are saying is exactly correct, and the systems you sell are great.

What would you do, if someone said they wanted the best protection from mold, and the highest level of comfort and efficiency?
    Would you sell them a 14 SEER with thermidistat? I don't think you would.

See how well the 14 SEER system you sell if someone leaves the draft damper open on the fireplace. Moisture goes through the roof.

The best de-humidifier, Infinity, thermidistat is no match for leaky ducts, large quantities of infiltration, and so on.

What is "Properly Sized"?

You say terms like "Properly Sized" without knowing design criteria.

I have had customers tell me they wanted it 72 degrees in the living room when they are entertaining 40 people! What then?

I have had builders tell me they want their homes to cool to 72 degrees when it's 96 out. The home was built for spec. The new owners want it 78. What then?

What if your customer refuses to open the windows, and keeps the air on 78 when its 72 outside? What then?

Some people in our area (we live on a small island surrounded by water 360 degrees, and canals) are perfectly happy with even standard base systems, some are not.

It seems, the tighter and better insulated the house, the worse the low load moisture problem is due to the a/c not being able to run long enough, showers, peoples respiration, perspiration, plants, pets, cooking and so on.

Our main trouble comes in when people leave and pull down insulated Hurricane panels / shutters. You can not even get a building permit here without hurricane glass or panels. Due to costs, most choose panels. Now there is not even window loads. In our case, thats usually over half the load!
    I have had people with condo's in a building for 20+ years, and never have a problem. They add hurricane shutters, and BINGO, they return to mold and mildew. Why? they reduced the load.

Simple thugs like roof pitch, radiant barrier, cool ply, attic venting, and lighting can effect humidity as well.

I find many moisture problems in Florida new homes are not a/c related, but building / construction related.

Every situation is different, and different people want different levels of comfort and control, and have different means to pay. Every system has it's limitations. We are here to give them what they want and can afford, while assuring it is of true benefit to them.

To the OP's question, I would recommend checking for proper airflow and fan speed, check ducts for leaks, check for proper refrigerant charge, and check for proper evap TD., and if there is a txv, check for proper txv operation.
    52% is not that bad for this time of year.

A thermidistat would be nice (we install them with every vs air handler) if applicable.

Your systems work great for your application. Other systems can do much more, and can handle these situations and more.

I know most people won't buy or can not afford to buy these systems, or make these upgrades.
    I offer them the courtesy of not assuming their economic situation.
    I believe that is their choice and decision, and not mine, so I offer them the best solution and work down from there, explaining the costs, limitations, and benefits of all the choices. They can then make an informed decision based on what results they want and their economic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    I know most people won't buy or can not afford to buy these systems, or make these upgrades.
    I offer them the courtesy of not assuming their economic situation.
    I believe that is their choice and decision, and not mine, so I offer them the best solution and work down from there, explaining the costs, limitations, and benefits of all the choices. They can then make an informed decision based on what results they want and their economic situation.

I agree with you 100%. I'm in an area that most hvac contractors don't pull permits, duct work leaks, undersized equipment, improper wire size. My bid will always be higher because I do everything by code, and take time to make it look good. I will get alot of the bids I did not win, calling me 6 months/a year later to fix the mess. Of course they are cheap and still do not want to pay to fix it right. And to be honest, I do not want them as a customer if they continue to be that way.
    Too Few Pro Tech's & Too Many Parts Changer's.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    < 45% R.H. is not to hard to obtain if one sets the indoor temperature to
    ~77'F.

Programmable t-stat can be set to 82'F during the day/weekday.

77'F with Low R.H. at times seems chilly ...
    transplanted Michigan native
    77 in my home is downright hot - everyone who comes in agrees . you will sweat a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjones215 View Post
    77 in my home is downright hot - everyone who comes in agrees . you will sweat a lot.
    But, by your other post, your RH is 50+&#37;.
    If it were 40% RH at 77*F, you would feel cooler then you do at 74*F 52% RH.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    But, by your other post, your RH is 50+%.
    You are absolutely right. I go into my daughters house and she is at 78 but the RH is 42 and it is more comfortable than my house. She has a 1400 sq. ft. house and a 2 1/2 ton unit. Some of the registers barely blow any air out of them. Most of mine will blow your hair out of place and I have my fan set on low ( the red lead ). The tech kept setting it on high (the black lead) .

For your house. I think you'd be better off having a whole house dehumidier installed to get the humidity down.
    Sounds like your system is slightly oversized. And with a standard blower, your not going to be able to slow the blower down enough to get it any lower.
    The whole house will work even when your house doesn't need cooling. You may think its ecpensive to have one installed, but it will probaly save you money by not having to set your stat as low.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    But, by your other post, your RH is 50+%.
    If you are needing to get to 40%RH to be comfortable our system is not set up right. Run times are still too short or your coil temp is still to high. The dew point needs to be lowered. My house and most I set up (that will pay the price) it is chilly at 80* or 79*. Humidity is 48* to 50* dew point is 51* to 55* and with ceilings fans on. On days when it is over 95* the temp can be kicked up to 81*.

Now at night the temp needs to go down a few degrees to allow some run time.

During the day, I manage to maintain about 48&#37;RH, and 72*F.(took a lot of playing with the blower and charge adjustment)
    At night, I let it get up to 74*F so I can sleep, The humidity will reach around 53% depending on the OD conditions.

I wear a uniform shirt and a tee shirt under it while I work on RTU's when its 20*F. And I'm comfortable.(unless its windy)
    People aren't all comfortable at the same temps, and humidity levels.
    Contractor locator map

Thumbs up Alternative is ...

Quote Originally Posted by cjones215 View Post
    You are absolutely right. I go into my daughters house and she is at 78 but the RH is 42 and it is more comfortable than my house. She has a 1400 sq. ft. house and a 2 1/2 ton unit.
    Did you propose a House Swap? ... And did she accept?

Yes, problem solved.

Seee ...
    HVAC ... involves
    looking at ALL Alternatives
    to make the Customer happy !

L.O.L.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345