Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Are PECO special rates going away?

I live in Southeastern PA. PECO is my utility company. Heat pump owners get special (lower) electric rates from October to May. These rates help to make owning a heat pump worthwhile. I've heard through the grapewine that those special rates for heat pump owners may go away soon (next couple of years). Since I am in the process of selecting a new system, that information can play a major role in selecting the officiency of the heat pump (more efficient unit will payback much sooner).

Does anyone have any information regarding the expiration of those special PECO rates? Does anyone sit on PECO Board and willing to give us heads up? If you do not know, where should I go to get this kind of prospective information?

Thank you!

Post Likes
    PECO wants to try some new things for billing.
    You might want to read up on at their website.
    You can also send them an email through theircontact link, and ask them.

http://www.exeloncorp.com/ourcompani...and_prices.htm
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Just an aside here, but I just got off the phone w/ PPL this AM b/c I am considering a heat pump install as well. While my rates are lower then PECO, PPL does not have a special rate schedule for folks heating w/ electric.

Post Likes
    No they don't.
    Did they tell you about the rate hike thats coming. I think in 2010.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No they don't.
    Did they tell you about the rate hike thats coming. I think in 2010.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Found it:
    http://www.pplelectric.com/NR/rdonly...ember_2006.pdf

Great. Now I have to add 30% to the calculations done for my Heat Pump estimate. Still cheaper then Propane though (I think).

Post Likes
    It will be.
    Gas, and oil are going to continue to go up also.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Having a good friend on the PECO board,he said that the RH rate is not going away.They are looking for a 20% increase in 2010. You can go up from 6 cents with RH or 15 cents a KW .I have not sold many a/c unit in my area which is PECO country and made up an EASY cheat sheet to get the rate with going through ALL the problems. Everyone said it was easy to do,without the backdoor way GOOD LUCK!!!Can we get a shot at your job??
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    One of the reasons that housing has been grown so quickly in SE pa is the adoption of the heatpump. This allowed the builders to build without waiting for infrastructure with natuaral gas, or with the perceived odor of oil in new homes. Although these systems were technically inferior for the climate, people jumped at the chance to buy new homes, specifically in Bucks and Mont counties. The rate adjustment helped to justifiy the heatpump for this climate, and doubtfully will go away. There are just too many customers with this rate structure. This allows for smoother operations of the generating stations, as opposed to going into seasonal lag caused by not running condensers for air conditioning. If all those heatpumps stopped running, they might have to take power plants offline, and this is more costly than your lowered rate. But since you are here anyway, there are some fine contractors on this site, how about giving one or two of them a shot at your work?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    One of the reasons that housing has been grown so quickly in SE pa is the adoption of the heatpump. This allowed the builders to build without waiting for infrastructure with natuaral gas, or with the perceived odor of oil in new homes. Although these systems were technically inferior for the climate, people jumped at the chance to buy new homes, specifically in Bucks and Mont counties. The rate adjustment helped to justifiy the heatpump for this climate, and doubtfully will go away. There are just too many customers with this rate structure. This allows for smoother operations of the generating stations, as opposed to going into seasonal lag caused by not running condensers for air conditioning. If all those heatpumps stopped running, they might have to take power plants offline, and this is more costly than your lowered rate. But since you are here anyway, there are some fine contractors on this site, how about giving one or two of them a shot at your work?
    If I were building the house myself I most certainly would give any number of you guys a shot at this. However the builder has his HVAC guy so I have to play by his rules.

On the other hand, when I need a Aprilaire humidifier installed or something like that done - you bet I'm coming here first.

Post Likes
    If you want a LOCAL person I live near LONGWOOD Gardens.Since we cannot do the work at least I can make sure you get a QUALITY job. I have BAILED out a few people on site already.You can get me via my site.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    The rates will go up from what I hear

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dafreerider View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding the expiration of those special PECO rates? Does anyone sit on PECO Board and willing to give us heads up? If you do not know, where should I go to get this kind of prospective information?
    I did come across this:
    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busin...nt_ending.html

However, I haven't spent time digging via google, PECO's site, etc. Here is another link while I have it handy:

http://www.peco.com/pecores/energy_r...etocompare.htm

Post Likes
    I've been thinking about switching to dual fuel HP/gas backup and have looked at the price to compare chart. I went to the PECO web site and see that they have a new rate filling effective November 30, 2010 before we have even gotten to 2010 or switched suppliers. What is this? Extra money for Christmas?

The rate for regular service increased to .0919 up from the current .0698 in the winter
    Heating service went to .0937 for the first 600 kwh then .0495 for amounts over 600.

Since the newspaper ariticle mentioned that the Heating service rate will no longer exist after 2010-2011 heating season It might be wise to just base your calcuations on the regualr rate. Is 9 cents high for electric heat pump rates?

Also consider that there is the variable distribution charge in addition to the energy/transmission charge that everyone will pay to PECO energy regardless of what company you buy your electricity from. The variable distribution charge is applied per Kwh so the more you use the more you pay. The charge looks about the same as is now: .0520 in the winter. In the summer it is .0520 up to 500kwh then .0596 for every kwh you use over 500.
    Last edited by jerrod6; 11-26-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: found additional information

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast