Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

leak detection dye

Do you like using leak detection dye in systems were leak is not apparent or do you feel should not be used.

dont like adding anything that isnt meant to be there
    to messy
    waist of time and money imo

I have never had to use Dye. My leak Det. finds 99.9% of leaks and a isolation test, sheet rock knife and soap bubbles find the rest. I would like to try that stuff just to see how well it works and what effects it has on the unit.

Love it...use it all the time. Never had a problem with it in a system. A little messy at first but once you get the hang of it....it's no problem. The newest injectors they have out are pretty clean and it takes about 30 seconds to inject the correct amount.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    dont like adding anything that isnt meant to be there
    to messy
    waist of time and money imo
    if you found a leak with it it would'nt be a waste of time and money.
    have you tried and and it did'nt work?

I always check with the manufacturer before using it. I only use it when I know there's a tiny, tiny leak and I can't find it any other way.

iv'e used it a few times and without exeption the leaks i found but was unable to find with the usual means were porous metal leaks in the evaporator coil which i suspected but couldn't be sure. dye is for when you are about to give up or haven't any more time to spend at the moment. imo
    i was born under a wandrin star.

If you guys show up on a call...turns out there is a loss of charge, maybe not completely but enough that the cooling won't cool....what do you do?? I'm just curious, are you charging the customer for an electronic leak search and/or the other leak finding methods?

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    if you found a leak with it it would'nt be a waste of time and money.
    have you tried and and it did'nt work?

yes have used it a few very few times. This is why i said messy but guess it isnt that mess come to think of just hate getting it on my hands

anyway i dont find it to be any less time comsuming or more of an avantage over other methods. It as has been said is a last resort IMO and will find porus leaks that wont show. I also dont like getting the dye in my gauges when it is in a system and then you are passing it arround.

as far as charging for a leak check what ever method is use electronic. Bubbles and nitro, Ultrasonic, and dye are all time comsuming and chargable.

90 percent of leaks can be found without dye
    the other 10 percent can be found through isolation while in the off season INO

We dont charge for leak searches, other than for the time involved, sell too many new systems by using the leak detector and finding evap coil leaks, Im glad to pull it off the truck and take a look

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    If you guys show up on a call...turns out there is a loss of charge, maybe not completely but enough that the cooling won't cool....what do you do?? I'm just curious, are you charging the customer for an electronic leak search and/or the other leak finding methods?

I go to the costomer and tell them they have a leak. I give them the option of finding it and tell them what would be involved. I also explain that if i charge the system up and not look for te leak and have to come back again this season ten i will not chage it up again without finding the leak and fixing it.

,ost elect to set up for a leak check and do the repairs. I do ofcourse charge the unit up and get them going till time in the schule can be allowed for the leak check. The costomer can not be forced to repair a leak but we do have a responsablilty to try and repair all leaks we can. We also have the right to not kerp topping off a system several times a season

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    I go to the costomer and tell them they have a leak. I give them the option of finding it and tell them what would be involved. I also explain that if i charge the system up and not look for te leak and have to come back again this season ten i will not chage it up again without finding the leak and fixing it.

,ost elect to set up for a leak check and do the repairs. I do ofcourse charge the unit up and get them going till time in the schule can be allowed for the leak check. The costomer can not be forced to repair a leak but we do have a responsablilty to try and repair all leaks we can. We also have the right to not kerp topping off a system several times a season
    I agree....but when I give my customer their options one of them includes recharging the unit AND adding dye...both are chargable. That way if it leaks out again and we need to come out it's easier to find the leak. Saves time for me....that last leak I found was in the evap...took about 5 minutes to find after removing the bypass from the humidifier to the plenum...sold them a new system. I was just curious how others do it...some customers decline everything and just want the juice...ok once...but it get noted on the invoice and the next time they get charged for us to start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    I pullout my electronic leak detector and find 90% of all leaks with in 20min. Most of the time it is less than 10 min. I check all the common areas first and then move on to some of the uncommon areas. If I don't find it in 20 mins. I give the HO some options, all depending on how low it was.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast