Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 410a

That unit may be shipped without refrigerent. I don't know
    I installed a system for a guy one time and found out he took my roll of insulation an put it in the barn.
    Trust goes both ways

The way it sounds like you operate ,he probably got charged for it.

Would you not charge him?

That roll of insulation was for the next job....not for him to save some money somehow on the service call I just got from him.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Sure I am when a dealer buys a unit from a distributor they are paying for the refrigerant in the unit , then that is already being passed on to the customer via unit mark-up. Then to charge someone for the already marked up refrigerant does not seem ethical .
    "Goodlistener"?????, No, not all units come with refrigerant in them. There are alot of units that have zero refrigerant in them when shipped. Those units are therefore charged with nitrogen. This has been stated numerous times but you seem to not be listening/reading the post. Why do they do this you ask? Well, with large systems that hold a large amount of refrigerant if the unit happens to be damaged during transportation all of that refrigerant is lost and treehuggers across the globe flip out. If the unit is charged with nitrogen the environmental impact is a "little" less. Also, i'm not sure of this since i am not in the transportation industry but I would imagine that there is a limit of some sort placed on the amount of refrigerant that can be transported in a single piece of equipment. I may be wrong but I'm sure if I am I will be corrected and severly punished.

One thing you guys should try to bear in mind.... The contractor can charge whatever price they want, to make what they need to keep the vans rolling. The guy in question here we are beating up, because he isn't very bright thats all.

Let me separate it out here

- Telling a customer you cant use the rest of the refrigerant in the drum so they have to pay for it all -- WRONG

- Charging the customer for only what was used but marking it up so it makes more than a full drum-- PERFECTLY OK

The way this guy went about it is stupid, so I say make him pay the difference, but don't think he has any obligation to sell you refrigerant at cost, he is reselling and can set his prices accordingly.
    Last edited by DPSwitch; 03-31-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Of all the condensing units and package units I have ever picked up everyone of them came with refrigerant but these were name brand units. The only chillers that I have started up that didnt have refrigerant were splits with remote condenser or coolers so it was already known that there is only a nitrogen charge. I guess it would be easier to swallow if it was a standard practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bzzline View Post
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I need to charge three times the price per lb on refrigerent to stay in business. A lot of companys charge this rate plus will also bill you for what your unit will hold (data plate) not what they put in it.
    You agreed on it why are you not satisfied?
    I only started responding when I saw this post, All the units shipped with a charge have the amount on the data plate units shipped without usually have that spot empty so how do you know how much the unit will hold and not the entire lineset and evaporator coil?

See Note 3.

Google is your friend.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Man, if I could have got by with that selling R-22 all these years I could retire now, yes sir you need a couple lbs of freezon but you have to buy the whole jug I cannot just sell you a couple lbs,man ching,ching.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

R-410A doesn't come in 30# quantities, there is only 25# of refrigerant in cylinder.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

If you can't get 50# from a 25# jug, you're fired!
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

You can as long as your last few customers bought you a whole jug.....lol

I don't know the particular unit mentioned.....but perhaps the individual lost the charge ? Just a thought.
    I think whoever said it earlier was on target.....if he isn't used to doing 410a, is he doing it right ? Or maybe, the install was great....worthy of the "wall of pride".....he just happens to run his buisness like a monkey and say stupid stuff and lie. I've met guys who did really nice work, but were dumb as a stump and didn't carry themselves well in front of customers. Who knows...who cares......think of it this way, Maybe you now have a big pink conversation piece on your living room table ?!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast