Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 410a

I agree Ibend ...... I wouldnt add that ever, cause I'd look like a moron, I'd find something else to add.... lol

After your house load is calculated and a size is decided on...then you pick the efficiency you are looking for and then you get a price....not "well this is where we'll start and as we go I will add things on" That's the craziest thing I have ever heard of!! I would throw someone like that right off my property....unfortunately that's the kind of contractor that gives everyone a bad name.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressiveAir View Post
    If a contractor was to purchase a 30lb cylinder of 410a,
    but only needed 12 lbs, would the contractor likely
    keep or dispose of the remaining refrigerant?

If so, would it remain in the same container, or
    would additional steps need to be taken by the contractor to reuse the
    rest of the 410a in the cylinder?

To answer your question
    yes he would use what is needed for the job and then charge you per pound for the ammount he used. The rest goes back on the truck till it is need then the same process for thenext customer.

you should be paying for the amount you need and by the pound. This is why most of us have a scale under the jug when we add refrigerant. What is charged per pound depends on the cost of the jug and the price the contractor charges per pound.

Do you own the jug NO he does since he purcased it. He is selling you the refrigerant by the pound if he is legit.

bend- that's an interesting point. I need to read up on preparing for
    410. The guy told me he was surprised there was no 410a, because most units already come with it.

tin-that's what I suspected. I'm impressed by the Knowledge on this board.

bend- that's an interesting point. I need to read up on preparing for
    410. The guy told me he was surprised there was no 410a, because most units already come with it.

tin-that's what I suspected. I'm impressed by the Knowledge on this board.
    There are many wrong ways to prepare a new install for 410. There is really only one correct way however. Moisture is the absolute enemy of any A/C system and removing (and preventing) as much as you possibly can during the install will do alot to give that system a long life. I would check with him and ask him what his procedures are for installing 410. Chances are he doesn't have any because he has never done it?!? Especially if he is trying to get you to buy the whole jug of juice! I would definately be interested to hear how he is going to install that thing!
    I need a new signature.....

Sounds like a good deal to me. I need to charge three times the price per lb on refrigerent to stay in business. A lot of companys charge this rate plus will also bill you for what your unit will hold (data plate) not what they put in it.
    You agreed on it why are you not satisfied?

Quote Originally Posted by bzzline View Post
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I need to charge three times the price per lb on refrigerent to stay in business. A lot of companys charge this rate plus will also bill you for what your unit will hold (data plate) not what they put in it.
    You agreed on it why are you not satisfied?
    Are you serious about what the unit hold what a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Are you serious about what the unit hold what a rip off.

he was talking from dead empty/ Some units take more then what the name plate says because on the lenth on the refrigerant lines

this unit was shipped from the supplier empty with a nitrogen holing charge
    may have also taken more then 12lbs to fill it.

Thats not the way it sounded to me if it says it has refrigerant on the data plate it must have some in it and not nitrogen.

You cannot be that suprised

Sure I am when a dealer buys a unit from a distributor they are paying for the refrigerant in the unit , then that is already being passed on to the customer via unit mark-up. Then to charge someone for the already marked up refrigerant does not seem ethical .

And the reason 12 lbs was necessary was because this was an installation
    of the new Acadia Heat Pump. It comes with a nitrogen charge, and no refrigerant. I don't know what to make of that either.

as it has been said the unit in question was shipped empty. This isnt all that uncommon with comercial units and yes the coustomer has to pay for the refrigerant. It is either figured into the bid or it is an extra as in this case.

the unit needed a min of 12lbs but may have needed more or less depending on the size and lenth of lines

if it were just a topoff then only what was used would have been charged. This is why we have scales on the truck

That sounds kosher in this case but not on the other.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast