Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 410a

410a

If a contractor was to purchase a 30lb cylinder of 410a,
    but only needed 12 lbs, would the contractor likely
    keep or dispose of the remaining refrigerant?

If so, would it remain in the same container, or
    would additional steps need to be taken by the contractor to reuse the
    rest of the 410a in the cylinder?

Why would one ask that?

One would ask that if a contractor is charging one
    for the entire cylinder of 410a, saying that the
    remaining 18 pounds can't be used.

One would want to know if contractor knows what he is talking
    about.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgressiveAir View Post
    One would ask that if a contractor is charging one
    for the entire cylinder of 410a, saying that the
    remaining 18 pounds can't be used.

One would want to know if contractor knows what he is talking
    about.
    why would one pay for something they aren't getting?

Sounds like you are dealing with a contractor hopefully a licensed hvac contractor that has not dealt with or installed any 410a units and will not service your unit without buying and new jug of 410a(he does not currently have a jug) and must charge you for the whole cost of the jug because he is behind the times and doesn't service 410a units on a regular basis..

So yes if you are using a small hvac contractor that does not install or service 410a units on regular basis and does not operate the business with the proper profit ratio then yes you will have to pay him what ever cost he is charging you for the 25lb 410a jug and he may not use the remainder of it for until his next 410a job.. He will not leave the partial jug with you..No contrator would.

I would recommend finding a hvac contractor that deals with 410a on a regular basis but you may find that their cost of doing the job is just as high or higher than this guy but they may be around in the future if you have problems with your system..

This sounds more like a side show bob repair than a true hvac company repair.. You get what you pay for..

Goodluck
    J

One should ask to be credited for the balance because one doesn't think he should be buying the next customers refrigerant

Sooner or later he will have use for the rest of that refrigerant.
    Sounds a little shady.

If he won't budge on you paying for the entire jug.
    Tell him you want the jug you paid for.
    No EPA cert required to buy or own R410A..

The big question is. What happened to the 12lbs, that you need to replace it?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

advanced-Good call. dealing with a guy who does mostly commercial service work these days.
    dp-Thanks, that's what I was getting at.

beenthere- yes if I must pay for it, then I will keep the jug. good idea!
    And this guy appears to grow more shady by the day.

And the reason 12 lbs was necessary was because this was an installation
    of the new Acadia Heat Pump. It comes with a nitrogen charge, and no refrigerant. I don't know what to make of that either.

i dont think i am following this correctly but if you are supplying the refrigerant to this guy then you have the right to charge the going rate per pound for the refrigerant. Why are you giving it to him for free or cost. 410-a is costly and you have every right to a mark up per pound JMHO

And the reason 12 lbs was necessary was because this was an installation of the new Acadia Heat Pump. It comes with a nitrogen charge, and no refrigerant. I don't know what to make of that either.

I am in no way trying to be a smartazz here, but if I don't ask it someone else will....was this contractor the "lowest bidder" by chance??

And to whoever said "you get what you paid for".....as we say in poker....thats the dead nuts!
    I need a new signature.....

Heck I woulda never mentioned the refrigerant and just added the cost of an entire jug to the price If I wanted you to pay for it......

my bills are written as follows..... Labor + Material = $XXXXXX.

tin- It's sort of a long story. Was just trying to figure out if the contractor could reuse the refrigerant, and the board had told me he definitely can.

bend - no, he was the second most expensive, and keeps getting unexpectedly more expensive by the day.

tin- It's sort of a long story. Was just trying to figure out if the contractor could reuse the refrigerant, and the board had told me he definitely can.

bend - no, he was the second most expensive, and keeps getting unexpectedly more expensive by the day.
    I see....where I come from a quote is a quote....if I tell you it will cost xx to put in yout new heat pump...then that is what it will cost. I don't come back and tack things on to the price...let alone the cost of the refridgerant. If this guy has little experience with 410 as we all suspect....I would check out a few other threads on here and make sure he knows how to properly prepare the system for 410....microns...evacuation...nitrogen purge...and so on...he can charge you for everything under the sun but if it isn't installed properly....you are never going to be happy with it.
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast