Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swooshwa View Post
    Charliebear, Yes it does get hot in Chicago, I lived in Orlando for 10 years and St. Pete for 6 and that is what I was comparing it to. My mother in law is moving in with us due to her age and we will need to make sure it is comfortable for her both in Winter and Summer.
    I'm sure AC is needed more often in FLA, my point was that in Chicagoland we tend to have extremes on the hot and cold side, so a more efficient AC would be helpful since you will be using it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    i'm local and i can help. click on my profile and email me.
    ..last chance.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Found Rheem pricing online.... Not sure why? But that is a lot of money someone is making from the prices I have been qouted. I am not sure how close Trane pricing is, but at least I have an idea.

The price you found online doesn't include some important things.
    The first thing is, Labor warranty, possibly no part warranty either.
    Units with no warranty can be sold cheaper then units with a warranty.
    If you found that price at an online dealer, will they install it for that price.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere, I read some other posts regarding exactly what you said. Thanks! I have emailed tinner73 as he works in Chicago and has offered to help. I also have a co-worker who has recommended two other companies in town.

Question Cost - Benefit is ?

Quote Originally Posted by charliebear View Post
    I'm sure AC is needed more often in FLA, my point was that in Chicagoland we tend to have extremes on the hot and cold side, so a more efficient AC would be helpful since you will be using it a lot.
    How would saving ~ $ 80 a year in electric use
    be helpful from a Life Cycle Cost perspective?

Have you thought about the actual pay-back period?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    How would saving ~ $ 80 a year in electric use
    be helpful from a Life Cycle Cost perspective?

Have you thought about the actual pay-back period?
    I can't speak for his situation as I don't know the cost of his system. However, in the Chicago area our power prices have risen significantly. 2.5% increase starting in June to cover transmission costs, and that is coupled with a planned 40% increase phased in over the next few years. My winter electric bill runs $180-200 a month without AC. Summer is higher, so every percent savings helps

I can't speak for his situation as I don't know the cost of his system. However, in the Chicago area our power prices have risen significantly. 2.5% increase starting in June to cover transmission costs, and that is coupled with a planned 40% increase phased in over the next few years. My winter electric bill runs $180-200 a month without AC. Summer is higher, so every percent savings helps
    Haha... 2.5% increase... I wish... our stupid Maryland legislature... deregulation debacle (what a joke)... we already had an increase of something like 50% last year and we can expect another increase of 20% or so this summer. The original rate increase starting July 2006 was to be 72%! Honestly, I haven't kept on top of it since the politicians can't seem to be bothered to remedy the situation anyway. As of today our total rate is about $0.13 per kWhr before the summer increase.

We're going to be going through the same electric rate BS thing here soon.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    Haha... 2.5% increase... I wish... our stupid Maryland legislature... deregulation debacle (what a joke)... we already had an increase of something like 50% last year and we can expect another increase of 20% or so this summer. The original rate increase starting July 2006 was to be 72%! Honestly, I haven't kept on top of it since the politicians can't seem to be bothered to remedy the situation anyway. As of today our total rate is about $0.13 per kWhr before the summer increase.
    I think we are in the same boat. Both our states had a rate freeze and now they are getting whopping increases. The joke is, they just pushed through a big increase, now they are asking for another 2.5%, after the 40% or so. So they are asking for 2.5% of the new rate, which is 40% higher.... which would be a 3.5% increase on the old pricing....

Thumbs up Beneficial increases !

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    Haha... 2.5% increase... I wish... our stupid Maryland legislature... deregulation debacle (what a joke)... we already had an increase of something like 50% last year and we can expect another increase of 20% or so this summer.

anyway. As of today our total rate is about $0.13 per kWhr before the summer increase.
    ANYWAY ... Rates need to be much higher still
    to get the average American interested in higher efficiency equipment.
    Hopefully electric rates will continue to be raised.

Zero Energy Buildings initiative will take another 30 years.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Hmm

I can't speak for his situation as I don't know the cost of his system.

However, in the Chicago area our power prices have risen significantly.
    If one spends $10,000 on a system with a savings of $100 per year, the pay back period is a rather lengthy 100 years.

If one spends $2,000 on the incremental cost of a system with a calculated savings of $100 per year, the pay back period is ONLY 20 years.

In other words, the calculated savings for the incremental cost of a more efficient system must be > $400 per year to meet a reasonable (customary) pay back period.
    Designer Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    ANYWAY ... Rates need to be much higher still
    to get the average American interested in higher efficiency equipment.
    Hopefully electric rates will continue to be raised.

Zero Energy Buildings initiative will take another 30 years.
    With that reasoning. Gasoline prices need to increase 50% more to get people to stop wasting gas, and start buying gas efficient cars.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast