Thread: Bearing Puller

Bearing Puller

I just want to make sure I am going through the same agony as everyone else. I've had to pull bearings on several units lately and it sucks. Is anyone aware of a good system to pull bearings. Most pullers I own from the automotive side work, but only when they fit. Many times the issue becomes siezed wheels and such. I still get the job done but posting my frustration here has opened up some easier methods before. Thanks

www.posilock.com/Product/product_intro.htm

you'll be hard pressed to find better
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I guess I am in the same boat as most. I have the 6" puller from Posi. The puller is a beast, but just doesn't fit in soo many setups. I do put that puller to the test though. I've seen some very large setups that connect to the shaft and allow the puller to use the shaft for leverage. Appreciate the feedback.

Slice it using an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Add some heat.
    Work smarter not harder.

A gizmo I made from bits and pieces:

It ain't a puller, but it sure helps pulling squirrel cage bearings:

Take a 6 inch or so piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" steel pipe, split it in half lengthwise, and then weld a piece of whatever you have on the outside of each half pipe suitable for getting the puller jaws to hold on to. Get a hose clamp to loosely hold the two half pipes on the shaft behind the bearing. Then use a two armed puller to get the bearing off the shaft, saving many cuss words and mmHg of blood pressure.

Somebody probably sells one, but I'm cheap.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Polish shaft with sandcloth and/or a file. Heat the bearing with a small torch and cool the shaft with a wet rag. Bearing should come right off with puller.

If that doesn't work, cut bearing with a cutoff wheel, like somebody else said.

Or you could try the big hydraulic Posi Lock.........works off a porta-power pump and puts out something like ten tons of force..........probably get the whole setup for under a Grand

i argee about using a heat wrench. not familar w/ the puller brand mentioned. i've frequently used a custom flame-cut piece of 1/4 to 3/8 plate- w/rods to getter done. if your gonna use a grinder to cut, i strongly suggest using a 6"" metabo angle grinder w/ super slicer wheels. the metabo has a clutch that should stop wheel when bound (scary when it happens)

Grinder with a cutting disc, or the good ole gas axe.

Thumbs up

Where my posi lock won't fit, I use this type of puller which grabs bearings from the back. You just use different size bolts to adjust spread. Posi lock puller is the first I use unless work space won't allow posi lock to fit or bearings are too far back on shaft and posi won't reach.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have all of the pullers mentioned above, but the best part is my dewalt cordless impact gun, this this drags bearings off so fast it is hardly work. I routinely use them on 40hp + motor bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by referteacher View Post
    Slice it using an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel.
    If a puller doesn't work in the 1st 5 minutes, this is the best method for removing a seized bearing timely
    Figman

I also use Nuts Off penetrating spray.