Where is the breaker for this furnace?

This was one of my favorites I ran into a while back. HO called to advise of a no heat issue. Arrived to find I had no power to furnace in crawl space. Traced wire back around a corner and found this. AMAZING

Just shook my head and told them they needed an electrician first, then call me. I left and never heard anything since.

Good Lord! And in a crawl space to boot!
    This space for rent.

That's nice how people endanger others and just don't give a f***. You could be down there, kneeling at a piece of equipment trying to fix a problem, and all along there isn't a ground in sight. Thanks a-holes. Those are the kind of people you want to catch up with so you can beat them with a chain with a lock on the end of it.

That's crazy . How long did it take to work its way out of socket or how old was the gas furnace? and you did collect a call out fee ?

more important,did you make sure you taped it with a good electrical tape or wire ties so it wouldn't come loose again
    do it right the first time!

I charged them for the service call. I just remember checking all the breakers on the panel upstairs and flustered as to where I was losing power. Crawled back under the house and decided to track the 12 gauge wire to its source. I had my head lamp on and turned a supporting wall corner to find this. It took a second or two to sink in what I was looking at. Got alittle closer to really verify that this wasn't a joke. Took a photo for liability purposes, pulled the wire out, cut the end off, and rolled it back up to the furnace. Left a note for whom ever came next, whether an electrician or a hack HVAC tech.

Funny thing is that this light fixture has no purpose where it is located. It was located away from any equipment and any entrance. Just setting there in a deep dark corner. Always assumed some day I would come across a body sticking out of the dirt under a old house. If there was any house out there, this would be the one!! Probably the remains of the previous HVAC guy asked to fix the furnace.

WOW. HO probably thought you were trying to rip them off. Now that you told them what was wrong they probably just crawled down there and plugged it back in.

Thats fine, as long as they signed my work order and are aware of the hazards, not much more I can do.

No, don't you see? The light bulb was the fuse!
    Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by meoff View Post
    more important,did you make sure you taped it with a good electrical tape or wire ties so it wouldn't come loose again
    It would be more secure if they had used the ground wire, wrap it a couple times around the fixture, no use wasting good tape when you have a extra wire handy

I've been waiting to see one of those forever, and never have. Thx for the pic...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography