Trying to compare Trane quotes - Need help

Three of the dealers have been quoting the XLi15 a/c and the 4TEH3F42B1000 a/h with one 10kw heat strip.

The fourth dealer is quoting a XR14 a/c with the same a/h as above. He told me that the a/c's are the same with the exception that the XLi has a different top cover and that Trane will increase the warranty coverage of the XR to 10/10 on parts and labor instead of 5/10 on the XLi. I asked why he quoted a 14 SEER unit instead of a 15 SEER unit and he said that when mated with this a/h it would be a 15 SEER system.

Nothing on the Trane website says this and I want to know if this is correct or am I getting misinfomation from the dealer. Also, are there any other major differences between the XR series and the XLi series? The Trane website only shows a minimal db difference between the two.

I was also told that Trane is phasing out the 14 SEER units and they are no longer offering rebates on any 14 SEER units.

what size outside condenser?

Trane will increase the warranty coverage of the XR to 10/10 on parts and labor instead of 5/10 on the XLi.
    I'd double-check this.

Why not use a variable-speed air handler? When matched with a XLi outdoor unit Trane increases the parts warranty to 10 years for the indoor unit (the outdoor unit already has a 10 year parts warranty).

Trane offers a rebate on the XL15i units. Trane is phasing out the XL14i I've heard, but I don't know if the XR14 is going anywhere--I don't think the XR units have any rebates to begin with.

Units will be easier to compare with full model numbers to check the ARI directory (as tigerdunes was getting to).

Hmmm, fishy

Looking at R410a units at 3.5 ton

XL15i with that air handler, 15.25 SEER 12.40 EER

XR14 with that air handler, 14.00 SEER 11.60

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    what size outside condenser?
    Okay - here are the model numbers:

A/H: 4TEH3F42B1000A

A/C: 4TTR4042C1000A

A/H: 4TEH3F42B1000A

A/C: 4TTR4042A1000A

So what's the difference between the "A" and "B" models of a/h?

How do I know which model is the XR and which one is the XLi?

Is there any reason to go with a XR system?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I'd double-check this.

Why not use a variable-speed air handler? When matched with a XLi outdoor unit Trane increases the parts warranty to 10 years for the indoor unit (the outdoor unit already has a 10 year parts warranty).

Trane offers a rebate on the XL15i units. Trane is phasing out the XL14i I've heard, but I don't know if the XR14 is going anywhere--I don't think the XR units have any rebates to begin with.

Units will be easier to compare with full model numbers to check the ARI directory (as tigerdunes was getting to).

I was told by the dealer that the XR series increases the warranty to 10/10 for parts and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    I was told by the dealer that the XR series increases the warranty to 10/10 for parts and labor.
    nope XL systems increase to 10 yr parts on the total system, he may be giving you a 10/10 p&l but that would be extra. XR are 10 yr condenser coil/compressor 5 yr functional parts. extra 10 yr extended are also available on ANY Trane equipment.

IMO go with a xl15i/VS drive A/H , or even better XL16i
    You can't fix stupid

A 10 year all parts warranty comes with the XL outdoor unit. The indoor unit (as long as it is an approved match) which normally would have a 5 yr parts warranty will be covered by the outdoor 10 year all parts warranty also.

XR units come with a 10 yr compressor/10 yr outdoor coil/5 yr all other functional parts
    Air handler would get 5 yr parts

Labor is covered by the installer or under extended warranty if purchased

A 10 year all parts warranty comes with the XL outdoor unit. The indoor unit (as long as it is an approved match) which normally would have a 5 yr parts warranty will be covered by the outdoor 10 year all parts warranty also.

XR units come with a 10 yr compressor/10 yr outdoor coil/5 yr all other functional parts
    Air handler would get 5 yr parts

Labor is covered by the installer or under extended warranty if purchased