Thread: Chiller Tech

Post Likes

Chiller Tech

I'm interested in becoming a Chiller service technician. Any of you chillers guys have any advice for me. I am currently working as a stationary engineer and have very basic exposure to chillers. Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    me too.

Post Likes
    Bone up on your electrical troubleshooting. Today's units are much more complex with digital controls, fan drives and electronic TXV's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bengalitiger7 View Post
    I'm interested in becoming a Chiller service technician. Any of you chillers guys have any advice for me. I am currently working as a stationary engineer and have very basic exposure to chillers. Any suggestions?
    Seek counseling before it's to late.....

I agree with big J...also talk with mechanics that service your equipment...they should be able to help you out.

Post Likes
    I need a really good chiller book: which would explain a wide variety of chillers. I already have the Carrier manuals. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    I need a really good chiller book: which would explain a wide variety of chillers. I already have the Carrier manuals. Any ideas?
    I would Look at Tranes IOM's (Installation Operation Maintenance) for the basics....learn to read their wiring diagrams....the best in my opinion,,,but their probaby no substitute for hands on....preferably helping a experienced mechanic...you'll get to learn all about cleaning oil sumps and brushing tubes that way...Try to get a job with Trane...LAX has very good training!

Post Likes
    Get good @ drinking,cussing,and smoking that should get you started.Oh if you are married go ahead and get divorced or you will eventually!

Post Likes
    LAX?

Post Likes
    LAX?
    Lacrosse Wisconsin, Trane Co...Where they build centrifugal and absorption products...sorry
    Last edited by chillerfreak; 03-29-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Post Likes
    i am also interested in chiller work,what is your typical day like, how are working conditions. i have 4yrs in res service and am trying to see if grass is greener on the other side. thx

Post Likes
    Hello fellow techs....residential and stationary engineers......chiller work is chiller work, more than loging the unit. Trane, City of industry, CA offers classes on Trane chillers, basic but you make your future. I've been with Trane a year, I came to Trane with light commercial & alot of residential under my belt. Read your materials, understand it and ask questions, yes the grass is greener on the other side. Our industry is having a hard time getting good techs....our breed is dying.....you will go as far as you want to go.Apply to it every day....every day you learn a new thing. Good luck

Post Likes
    The grass, um, money is greener but the hours are heck. If you happen upon a lot of process work, whether low temp or whatever, be ready for the call outs at whatever hour you can think of and working for however long with your customer leaning over your shoulder asking every ten minutes when he can start up the plant again because they are losing money every minute you don't have the machine running. If that sounds good, jump in and don't just get your feet wet. As mentioned before, get your electricity following skills in order. Keep in the back of your head though, chillers still are just a refrigerant circuit, so.........
    We aren't service engineers, we are service re-engineers!! Work is what you make it, have fun.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in