+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulling vacuum lost power

Post Likes

Confused Pulling vacuum lost power

well i waited until we had a beautiful day, was blowing 60 mph a lot this last week and we have a lot of outages on high wind days here in Alaska ,so I assumed ( I know ass out of u and me) that power would be good today, low and behold we had an outage anyways I was close and got my valves closed in 30 secs but I was at 30000 microns vacuum , vacuum pump was below compressor and service valves 36 -48 inches lower ,gauges were elevated , oil level just barely below sight glass full level on vacuum pump , hermetic compressor no sight glass Poe oil in compressor, black gold vacuum pump oil ( mineral oil).... So I feel like I should change the oil on compressor, any thoughts
    Last edited by dfishinfool; 11-20-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: More info

Post Likes
    I know that oil level in avacuum pump is checked when running because if you shut it off(after closing gauge valves) oil would be pulled toward system causing false reading

Post Likes
    So your concern is, when power went out the vacuum in the system sucked some oil out of your vac pump and contaminated the system? I would say that is unlikely. I say carry on.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    I say carry on.

X2
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    30000 isn't that far away from atmospheric, is it? If any oil did get pulled in, I'd guess that it didn't make it any farther than to your hoses.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    So your concern is, when power went out the vacuum in the system sucked some oil out of your vac pump and contaminated the system? I would say that is unlikely. I say carry on.
    Yup. And stop using your gages.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    At 30k microns, your just getting started. Don't worry about the oil. It'll be fine.

Post Likes
    If power loss is a common problem you worry about, why not install a normally closed solenoid valve that will isolate the pump when ever the pump loses power?

Post Likes
    There's a kit made for this purpose to prevent this. I think it's CPS who sells it. I believe it is like the float ball in a shop vac that chokes the passage when the water rises too far so the motor doesn't ingest the water.

Post Likes
    Bought a j&b platinum, no more worries on that end

Post Likes
    Why don't vacuum pumps have a check valve?

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    You can use a sporlan solonoid valve
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in