rust in condensor drain line normal?

While I was re-routing the condensor drain lines, I noticed the old drain lines had rust stains. I removed the side of the unit to inspect the cooling coils and noticed some rust on the sides of the coils and some small flakes in the drain pan. This is a 3 ton Trane unit in the attic that is about 7 years old. Is this normal?

if your putting bleach or other chemicals down the drain to clean it you might have more rust than normal. the coil is copper and aluminum and will not rust but the end plates and screws will. With out being there I can not say for sure that all is ok You should have a tech out twice a year to service the equipment at which time he can determine if there is any problems.

why did you need to re-route the drain. not to be rude but this could cause future water leaks if you are not careful.

Having annual preventive maintenance takes the worry off your mind.
    A tech. can evaluate and monitor the conditon of your system and eliminate a possible expensive repair in the future.
    Actually saving money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie2dafield View Post
    if your putting bleach or other chemicals down the drain to clean it you might have more rust than normal. the coil is copper and aluminum and will not rust but the end plates and screws will. With out being there I can not say for sure that all is ok You should have a tech out twice a year to service the equipment at which time he can determine if there is any problems.

why did you need to re-route the drain. not to be rude but this could cause future water leaks if you are not careful.
    the end plates and screws are the parts showing rust. I take this is a normal condition.

The reason to re-route the drain line was to fix a problem the former HO did. I have only owned this house a few months. They didn't have a trap on it and where is was run was going to put water under the house. The way it has been working is the condensing pan has been over flowing to the pan under the unit and using that drain. I did found an empty gal of bleach so it looks like someone thought this was the problem.