how do you keep return ducts clean with media filter

I have been told that running a pre-filter creates an air restriction.

What are the return ducts going to look like in a couple of years without one?

How about the cheap fiberglass filters?
    Last edited by aw; 03-25-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Media filter

Poly or pleated filter being used @ the R/A grill will kill your system. Fiberglass, cheapy filters are the best thing to use because they catch the lint and pet hair. They do just what their name implies "rock stoppers." However this will not keep you return chases clean, and in my humble opinion they don't need to be clean. If the system was setup properly with a media filter the airstream will be dusty.....until the media filter. It should be clean past the filter, which keeps your equipment clean, and in turn, the dust level in your house very low. Every few years you can have the returns cleaned. In many cases this just stirs up the dust, as long as you equipment is clean, life is good.

2 many people don't listen or trust the people that know what they are doing. Normally they put a purple 3m hepa 99% filter in to keep the returns clean. This filter costs 32 bucks, it has to be good. The electric bill doubles due to low airflow and loss of capacity. "It's been running for four days straight, and my new hepa filter isn't even dirty."

DIY = Job security.

Have someone check the static pressure on the system and see how far off you are from factory spec's. It is not recommended that you double up on filters. Unless the system is designed to handle it.

What size media filter are you running

I have found that the filthiest of the air handler/furnace/coil is directly proportional to the way the house is kept and cleaned. If you are a pig and your house is nasty, so will be inside equipment, no matter what you do. You could put a cheapo fiberglass filter in a well kept house and it will be clean. We know how a person lives by the condition of their equipment and house.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I have found that the filthiest of the air handler/furnace/coil is directly proportional to the way the house is kept and cleaned. If you are a pig and your house is nasty, so will be inside equipment, no matter what you do. You could put a cheapo fiberglass filter in a well kept house and it will be clean. We know how a person lives by the condition of their equipment and house.
    That would be true in a regular system, not one that has a 5" or 6" media filter with a customer that does 2 checkups a year. If the homeowner does these things there system will be clean. There are a few things that can cause a negative difference in the system:

Pet house
    Smoke cigarettes
    burn candles
    VOCS (chemicals, air fresheners, hair spray, fumes etc...)
    Other air infiltration from ductwork.

If you are depending on a fiberglass filter alone your sytem will be dirty after a few years. Fiberglass filters don't stop anything and they aren't designed to.

From your quote it sounds like you are the one out there cleaning evaps every year instead of addressing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip 2 my lou View Post
    That would be true in a regular system, not one that has a 5" or 6" media filter with a customer that does 2 checkups a year. If the homeowner does these things there system will be clean. There are a few things that can cause a negative difference in the system:

Pet house
    Smoke cigarettes
    burn candles
    VOCS (chemicals, air fresheners, hair spray, fumes etc...)
    Other air infiltration from ductwork.

If you are depending on a fiberglass filter alone your sytem will be dirty after a few years. Fiberglass filters don't stop anything and they aren't designed to.

From your quote it sounds like you are the one out there cleaning evaps every year instead of addressing the problem.

You validified what I just said. If you do 2 calls a year on your equipment. There is a 99.9% chance that you have a clean house and take care of your sh1t.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by NCambient View Post
    Have someone check the static pressure on the system and see how far off you are from factory spec's. It is not recommended that you double up on filters. Unless the system is designed to handle it.

What size media filter are you running
    Exactly,have it checked.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You validified what I just said. If you do 2 calls a year on your equipment. There is a 99.9% chance that you have a clean house and take care of your sh1t.
    The condition of the home only determines how often the 5" or 6" media filter needs replacing. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Earlier you stated "If you are a pig and your house is nasty, so will be inside equipment, no matter what you do."

Please enlighten us brother, and keep the new words coming while I correct my dictionary.

"You validified what I just said."

Quote Originally Posted by Skip 2 my lou View Post
    The condition of the home only determines how often the 5" or 6" media filter needs replacing. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Earlier you stated "If you are a pig and your house is nasty, so will be inside equipment, no matter what you do."

Please enlighten us brother, and keep the new words coming while I correct my dictionary.

"You validified what I just said."
    If you go into a home where it is very clean. Generally your return system will not be that dirty, nor will your media filter. Most customers do not do 2 maintenance checks a year, those that do. Generally care a little more about their investment in equipment and their home and will take care of both a little better than somebody who only calls you out when they need it. Therefore, an inexpensive fiberglass filter would be fine with a media filter, because if the home is clean and well kept, your return will not be as dirty. I have had customers who keep an immaculate home and only use a fiberglass filter with a media by the unit, that is almost as clean as the day it went in a year before.