HVAC contractor trying to pull a fast one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HVAC contractor trying to pull a fast one?

Hi there. I received a quote on a Carrier Infinity heat pump model 25HWA648. When I tried to confirm this model number with the Carrier web site it didn't match. Is it possible the dealer is trying to sell me an outdated unit? I was suspicious enough to double check because he was supposed to come back with an estimate on an Infinity straight cool system. We live just south of Tampa and rarely use the heat so decided we wouldn't recoup the initial heat pump investment. This was throughly discussed with the dealer. Then he comes in and says he was walking through the warehouse yesterday and saw an Infinity heat pump (acted as though this was a "wow" moment) and managed to get it for us for the same price as a straight cool. This raised red flags althought up to this point I liked this dealer. It's hard to read but the air handler model is FE4BWF006000.

Just wondering if this seems strange to anyone.

Thanks!

The W should be an N in the heat pump model number. Probably just a transcription error. The air handler should be FE4ANB006***--unless he/she meant to write FV4BNF006***, and in this case this would not be an Infinity system.

All in all, you need your sales representative to give you the correct model numbers in writing before you sign anything. I'm willing to bet it's a transcription error.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by sstucush View Post
    Hi there. I received a quote on a Carrier Infinity heat pump model 25HWA648. When I tried to confirm this model number with the Carrier web site it didn't match. Is it possible the dealer is trying to sell me an outdated unit? I was suspicious enough to double check because he was supposed to come back with an estimate on an Infinity straight cool system. We live just south of Tampa and rarely use the heat so decided we wouldn't recoup the initial heat pump investment. This was throughly discussed with the dealer. Then he comes in and says he was walking through the warehouse yesterday and saw an Infinity heat pump (acted as though this was a "wow" moment) and managed to get it for us for the same price as a straight cool. This raised red flags althought up to this point I liked this dealer. It's hard to read but the air handler model is FE4BWF006000.

Thanks!

It's an N not a W,try that .Likely poor handwriting,doesn't sound like anything else to me.

Use the search function on this site ,while you are here "Infinity",to see what other homeowners think of their Infinity System,keep in mind some are Gas Furnaces ,and your's is a Heat pump.

I think you'll be impressed with the Infinity's dehumidification capability, especially down south. The 25HNA648 has a reciprocating compressor and runs with 50% of its capacity on first (low) stage. What warranty is the dealer offering? It's probably not a bad idea to get another quote or two just to compare.

Thanks for the quick replies. The models are written by hand but it is definitely a W not an N. Looks like the air handler is completely off. Yes, I agree I should get correct numbers before I sign. I still feel something is off though after his explanation of "finding" the heat pump in the warehouse. I do have a second contractor who comes recommended by neighbors. He prefers Lennox but does also sell Carrier and Bryant. For some reason I think I prefer Carrier/Bryant but I don't know why.

Thanks again.

Oh, and the warranty is 10 years on compressor, parts and labor.

Are you aware of the rebates associated with both Carrier and Lennox products? I'm not sure what products Lennox covers under the rebate, though. Make sure the full parts and labor warranty comes from Carrier.

Ryan-Yes, we would be getting utility, mfg, and dealer rebates with either Lennox or Carrier.

Re. warranties, it looks like the 10 year warranties are from the manufacturer (Carrier) and the contractor is offering a 2-year money back guarantee, a no lemon guarantee, and a 2 year warranty on their work.

It's a tough decision for us between dealers and between Lennox and Carrier.

Thanks!
    The air handler is FE Variable BWF /Piston/Heat Pump 60,000 btu
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

aircooled53-So is that an appropriate air handler for the Infinity heat pump? I'm wondering why the model number doesn't match the models on the Carrier web site. I will mention the discrepancy to the dealer but just trying to gather info first. Thanks for your reply.

aircooled53-So is that an appropriate air handler for the Infinity heat pump? I'm wondering why the model number doesn't match the models on the Carrier web site. I will mention the discrepancy to the dealer but just trying to gather info first. Thanks for your reply.
    NO, I did NOT say it was Infinity series air handler.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Infinity will only work with one model air handler, the FE. There is no such thing as an FE4BWF. As mentioned earlier this is most likely an error or poor penmanship. Either way the FE is the Infinity air handler and the only one Infinity will work with.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

How far south of Tampa are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast