Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. A 2 stage Amana, a single speed furnace and a Carrier coil on a "brother in law deal"? Really think about what you're doing before you do it. You might be worse off than before and you're stuck with a new unit. Good luck.

a

Quote Originally Posted by laff66 View Post
    Sorry, brother in law deal makes it sound like we're using a novice contractor. He's actually very experienced and has over 20 years in the business. I'm sorry if I made it sound like we're a bunch of yay-hoos...
    I'm playing devil's advocate here. So don't get upset. If you have a lot of confidence in him and he's very experienced and he says all is well. Then why are you coming on a blog asking complete strangers for advice? It sounds to me as if you don't have a lot of confidence. You know the guy, go with your gut. If I have complete confidence in somebody, I sure wouldn't be asking strangers for advice.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I'm playing devil's advocate here. So don't get upset. If you have a lot of confidence in him and he's very experienced and he says all is well. Then why are you coming on a blog asking complete strangers for advice? It sounds to me as if you don't have a lot of confidence. You know the guy, go with your gut. If I have complete confidence in somebody, I sure wouldn't be asking strangers for advice.
    To continue that thought,20 years experince can be 20 years doing it wrong,hope not.

If you like your furnace, keep it.
    If it's getting old, or you have any doubts about it, change it now also. It will be easier to do it now, and can only be more expensive to do it later.
    You can replace the central A/C system and re-use the same furnace as long as the furnace moves the required amount of air for the new cooling system.

edit: Glad to see you have apparently decided against the frankensystem you were thinking of. It was sounding to me like a disaster in the making.
    This space for rent.

bmathews, don't worry about upset here, I appreciate the point of view. Do I trust him - yes Thats why this forum is so great. I've always been one to research things to death, thats all this is. Thanks again.

Using a non VS blower, you lose half the advantage of the 2 stage condenser.

You can do it right. New 2 stage condenser, new matching indoor coil, new furnace with VS blower, new Honeywell IAQ thermostat.

Or you can do half a$$.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

please don't mixmatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    This may be true but you will have to change out the TEV a R-22 TEV is different than a 410A valve, maybe you can save the coil, hope it all works out for you.
    Mr. Bill

Twilli says Mr Bill gonna get a bad rep giving out serious advice
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

NOTE: r22 systems are not rated for the higher pressure 410,all components must be rated for 600 psi. poe oil and minerel oil makes slime. save only the electrical if its meets code.

Actually York used the same coils for R410A as they used for R22 when they first switched to R410A. They just tested them at the higher pressure. They held, and were approved.
    There OD coils aren't made any thicker for R410A then they were for R22..
    In fact, many newer coils made for R410A, are thinner then coils made for R22 8 years ago.
    But you should change the coil to make sure youo don't contaimiate the oil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac248 View Post
    NOTE: r22 systems are not rated for the higher pressure 410,all components must be rated for 600 psi. poe oil and minerel oil makes slime. save only the electrical if its meets code.
    Blah Blah Blah rated Blah, save whatever is "worth it". Every piece has a price tag. A 8 ton r-22 evap can be saved. OMG it all has to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are slogan usually used by B&^%H N*&&3%S that are sales techs and don't even know how to do their job correctly. Box changers make me sick.

Twilli in the box business
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12