Looking for good install company in Upstate NY

I live in upstate NY and have been searching for a good HVAC company to install a 2 Stage gas with VS and Central AC. I have had 6 quotes done and none of them have anything close to a manual J. Plus the quotes span a difference of 3 Grand. Does anyone know a repituable place in my area? I do not mind paying for quality. Thanks for your help.

Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by teddyc27 View Post
    Does anyone know a repituable place in my area? Teddy
    Upstate NY is a pretty big area. Might get more help if you specify just which part of Upstate you are in.

You went to the trouble of getting 6 quotes but didn't insist on a Manual J as a prerequiste for a quote? Or did you ask for a Manual J and they skirted the process?

I live in Upstate NY, and the companies I got serious with took my blueprints and did load calcs, and I took the blueprints and did my own with HVAC-Calc. They had no problem doing the load calculations once they knew I was serious about considering them for my business and not just "kicking tires". My home had very uneven heating and the problem was solved with the design the contractor did. I asked many questions, and when they were respectfully answered (even though I was a bit of a pain with so many questions) I knew I had found which company to go with.

Pay attention to item #1.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Thanks. Yes I asked for a manual J and they skirted the process. There is one place here on the ACCA.ORG website, but they only do commercial. I am in Jefferson county if that helps. It would be nice to find somone that would do a manual J. I have had AC quotes from 2 - 3 Ton.

Teddy

Well that's why I suggest interviewing over the telephone. And if they say they're going to do a Manual 'J' and then come out to your house and don't do it, that tells you right there what you can expect form that company. Shop till you drop. Get a phone book from the next country. Somewhere in your area there's a reputable company that does it right. I just know it. You just haven't found them yet. Ask your relatives (the ones you still speak to), ask your friends, ask your friends relatives. Ask at church, the bank, the grocery store. Someone knows a really good company in your area. And when you find that company, I guarantee it will have been worth the hunt. No mysteries, no questions left unanswered, no doubt about the unit sizing and superb installation and superb backup service. Ah, what bliss a good company is to have in your autodialer.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I'm too far away from Jefferson County for my contractor to be of help to you.

Everything Skipedover has said is right on.

You might want to check with NYSERDA and/or BPI to see if they have a Building Performance contractor in your area who works in there programs and knows how to do a Manual J.

You can also touch base with William Parlipiano over at Keystone Empire Association RSES. He could probably give you a name or two of someone who knows how to do this correctly.

You could also hire an engineer to do the load calculations and re-design for you. Then bid out the resutls.

Found a good place

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. I found a place called E and V Energy. They have a few locations around central NY. They were very professtional and deal mainly with Trane. The quote was resonably priced. Above all he did a heat loss and gain right there with his laptop. He seemed quite surprised when I told him he was the 1st person to do calculations.

Teddy