Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how long is too long?

How long is too long to run a condensing drain line from a unit in the atic?

As long as you have pitch i would like to think there would not be an issue. unless we are talking about a condensing unit in colder temps where freezing may be a problem. For really long lines why not a condensate pump with a float switch wired to shut the system off. i would put it in a pan with another switch to insure i don't wet any ceilings!!

When its so long that you don't have a 1/4" per foot pitch, its too long.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i have 2 air handlers in a church that where set in the pans. when i was there for a service call they never had traps installed in their secondary pans installing traps could not be done without raising the units. there is one time i can remember i could not get 1/4" per 1'. the church was down the shore and the units needed to be replaced for other reasons. still waiting on a response from them.
    Last edited by Pascone10; 03-23-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    i have 2 air handlers in a church that where set in the pans. when i was there for a service call they never had traps installed in their secondary pans installing traps could not be done without raising the units. there is one time i can remember i could not get 1/4" per 1'. the church was down the shore and the units needed to be replaced for other reasons. still waiting on a response from them.
    trap it into a condensate pump!

could work but only two problems one system has a leak and the other the condenser coils are corroded from the salt air. ( they are not working so they don't need it lol

Why would you put a trap in a secondary drain pan? To the primary drain pan inside with the coil yes. But no reason for seconary.

yes the problem is the air handler sits inside the secondary pan ( not lifted ) there is a plywood floor and because the primary pan sits on the wood floor i cant get a trap out of the primary without it touching the floor. Like i said the units are down. that problem will not be over looked the second time around

So as long as it has 1/4" per foot drop I should not have any problems. Great!

This house I just bought has no trap on the drain and I don't like where the drain is run. The pan under the unit is fine and also has a safety switch.

yes the problem is the air handler sits inside the secondary pan ( not lifted ) there is a plywood floor and because the primary pan sits on the wood floor i cant get a trap out of the primary without it touching the floor. Like i said the units are down. that problem will not be over looked the second time around
    can you not put a trap on the drain down the line farther away from the unit?

whould this not work?

the location of the trap is not a problem as long as the job is still being done. and still the unit is too close the floor. it exits about 5 feet to the outside.

printman also be sure to keep everything nice, straight, and pitched or you may run into problems with a real long line. how long are you planning on running this?

i have ran some realy long drains over the years
    1/4 in pitch and trap at the unit
    vent every ten to fifteen ft. Make the vent stack higher ten the pan always.
    i like to use an easy trap and a float switch in the emergency pan just for added saftey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast