Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

how long is too long?

How long is too long to run a condensing drain line from a unit in the atic?

Post Likes
    As long as you have pitch i would like to think there would not be an issue. unless we are talking about a condensing unit in colder temps where freezing may be a problem. For really long lines why not a condensate pump with a float switch wired to shut the system off. i would put it in a pan with another switch to insure i don't wet any ceilings!!

Post Likes
    When its so long that you don't have a 1/4" per foot pitch, its too long.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    i have 2 air handlers in a church that where set in the pans. when i was there for a service call they never had traps installed in their secondary pans installing traps could not be done without raising the units. there is one time i can remember i could not get 1/4" per 1'. the church was down the shore and the units needed to be replaced for other reasons. still waiting on a response from them.
    Last edited by Pascone10; 03-23-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    i have 2 air handlers in a church that where set in the pans. when i was there for a service call they never had traps installed in their secondary pans installing traps could not be done without raising the units. there is one time i can remember i could not get 1/4" per 1'. the church was down the shore and the units needed to be replaced for other reasons. still waiting on a response from them.
    trap it into a condensate pump!

Post Likes
    could work but only two problems one system has a leak and the other the condenser coils are corroded from the salt air. ( they are not working so they don't need it lol

Post Likes
    Why would you put a trap in a secondary drain pan? To the primary drain pan inside with the coil yes. But no reason for seconary.

Post Likes
    yes the problem is the air handler sits inside the secondary pan ( not lifted ) there is a plywood floor and because the primary pan sits on the wood floor i cant get a trap out of the primary without it touching the floor. Like i said the units are down. that problem will not be over looked the second time around

Post Likes
    So as long as it has 1/4" per foot drop I should not have any problems. Great!

This house I just bought has no trap on the drain and I don't like where the drain is run. The pan under the unit is fine and also has a safety switch.

Post Likes
    yes the problem is the air handler sits inside the secondary pan ( not lifted ) there is a plywood floor and because the primary pan sits on the wood floor i cant get a trap out of the primary without it touching the floor. Like i said the units are down. that problem will not be over looked the second time around
    can you not put a trap on the drain down the line farther away from the unit?

whould this not work?

Post Likes
    the location of the trap is not a problem as long as the job is still being done. and still the unit is too close the floor. it exits about 5 feet to the outside.

Post Likes
    printman also be sure to keep everything nice, straight, and pitched or you may run into problems with a real long line. how long are you planning on running this?

Post Likes
    i have ran some realy long drains over the years
    1/4 in pitch and trap at the unit
    vent every ten to fifteen ft. Make the vent stack higher ten the pan always.
    i like to use an easy trap and a float switch in the emergency pan just for added saftey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast