HELP - need to move HVAC main trunk

HELP - need to move HVAC main trunk

We are building a new home. We specifically told the builder we wanted all duct work in the unfinished portion of our basement. We went to check on progress; duct work sticks (framed out) 4 feet by 1 1/2 foot. We have 9 ft ceilings which we would like to keep. Are there any products that could fix this? I don't want a giant soffit around perimeter of room and I don't want to lose my 9ft ceiling. Thanks.

have the duct moved to the unfinished side. May be hard to do but in most cases it is doable. Be willing to pay for the extra cost though

Sometimes you do NOT have a choice.
    This is exactly what I have in my basement 4 x 1-1/2' HVAC trunk.
    Actually, it does not look that bad.

However, if you want some opinions, then:
    - A few pictures of your actual installation would help.
    - Also a simple diagram (blueprint) of your house layout will also help.

I am sure the pro's in this forum will chime in after thay see the pics.

They are telling us that it's not possible; will lose too much air flow, and that we will be unable to heat the room directly above which is 24 x 20 with a 17ft ceiling. What do you think?

If running the duct in the unfinneished part of the basement causes the runs to be longer, then the size of the duct would have to be increased. This could present other troubles.

Without pics, we can't tell you what is or is not possible.
    Even with pics we can't guaranty that we can tell.

Post pics, and we might be able to give you some ideas.
    But, RNC doesn't go to the high bidder. So it will cost you extra. possibily a lot extra.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

odd and unusual systems, with extream layout challenges are somewhat my fortay...I get called alot to help friends and salesmen get through some rough designs. I love it really. But I can offer this....consider what you want, and then "see" the obstructions. It's as easy as that. You don't want duct in a certain area...or at least it being intrusive. What are the obstacles ? Is it really space ? Duct routing ? Or is it the fact that it's new construction and it's usually just about the lowest bidder who gets the job ? Maybe the guy is good, but isn't paid to tripple the instalation costs. Or is it an inability to compromise ?
    I would assume it is possible to do what you want. Espessialy in new construction. BUT..at what cost ? Maybe the answer is paying more $$ in the form of an "extra" to get something above and beyond what was discussed between the contractor and sub. Maybe it's loosing a little space so a small duct chase can be put in ?
    Just something to think about.

Thanks Brian - I'm going to try and get some pics to post but we're building 130 miles away......my biggest concern is not losing my 9ft ceiling and not shrinking it with a 4ft by 18" soffit - which is the way they have it right now. I'm irritated because we specifically pointed out this "flaw" in our current home and were assured it could be placed in the unfinished portion of the basement. Do you have any recommendations for the smallest main trunk unit of the duct work? Would the trunk on a high efficiency unit be smaller?

duct is what duct is........and by that i mean...it needs to be a certain size at any particular spot to carry correct air volumes at certain volocities to the target areas. But with that being said, experience and a litlle imagination can go a long way in it's design. For example, maybe a duct in the middle of a basement can be split into two smaller duct on the paremeter of the basement. Or perhaps it's only as simple as offsetting over to a particular side of a basement to steer clear of an obstacle. gotta go...Easter time....i'll look back later.

other alternatives

have you looked into high velocity systems or wall mounted mini-splits?

I looked at the high velocity but it still looks like the main duct coming from the unit is large - am I right??? The split-mini didn't sound like it was too appealing from a looks standpoint - it has to mount on the wall in the room that needs to be cooled or heated, right??? Or, is there a way to hide them?