Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Standard AC, Coil, Furnace

I have a bid from a reputable installer on these American Standard products to replace two 18-year-old 3.5-ton Trane units:

Alliance R22 3.5 ton: 2a7a3042a1000a
    coil: 2txfh041as3hha
    4-ton, single speed furnace: aud1b080a9481a

I live in hot, humid south Texas (two story 2850 sq ft home). I am not worried about heating. I do not plan to be in this house more than a few years so I do not want top-of-the-line equipment.

Questions:

1. When the installer leaves, will he leave the schematics inside the condensors and taped to the furnaces like they did on the original equipment 18 years ago?

2. I can't find much technical information on the condensor at the American Standard or Trane website. Why? I would like to know the min/max amp service required and the recommended tube sizes. I have 3/8" and 3/4" copper runs now. Are these OK? The installer did not mention replacing the lines. Because of the design of my house, it would be very difficult to run new lines without tearing out part of the roof and walls.

I would really like to have the full tech sheet on the condensor. I don't understand why Trane/American Standard do not have these posted. I know people on this site do not like Goodman, but at least on its website you can find the full technical details for Goodman products.

The data plate on the unit will have the min max amp.
    Dougtfull they'll tape the schematic to the outside unit. It comes with one.
    Even if it didn't.
    Only your installer can tell you what he will or won't do.

Thes are the questions you should have asked your installer while he was at your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I can't find an ARI match with that particular furnace. You'd probably want to consider a variable speed furnace at least for better humidity control. No R-410a refrigerant?

Assuming the Allegiance 13 is mechanically like the XR13: the 3.5 ton R-22 XR13 calls for a 3/8 x 7/8 lineset (http://trane.com/webcache/un/split%2...n_11012005.pdf), while the 3.5 ton R-410a XR13 calls for a 3/8 x 3/4 lineset (http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...1_11012006.pdf).

Hope this helps.

thanks

Thank you very much for posting these. They are what I was looking for except I am not certain if the Trane XR13 is the same as the American Standard Allegiance. If you run across the American Standard data, please post it.

He specifically said the condensor would be R22.

Should I be concerned about the lineset difference from what I have (3/8", 3/4") vs. what the manual says is needed for R22 with this unit? The runs are about 50 ft.

I am not certain why he didn't want to use R410a. Perhaps he didn't want to add the expense of cleaning the old lines. I asked him to keep the cost down because we would be moving in a year or so.

I will ask how much extra it would be for a variable speed furnace.

Again, thank you for your time.

I searched but could not find the American Standard data. There are American Standard dealers on this forum that should be able to assist you. I still think R-410a would be a good idea--both for you and the future owner of the house. I'd ask him how much more it would cost. Good luck.

I'm not sure on the lineset size question--someone else should be able to advise you on that.

If you looking for a low price system.
    Then a VS blower isn't what you want.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you looking for a low price system.
    Then a VS blower isn't what you want.
    I'm going to agree now that I think about it more. Variable speed is nice, but you won't be in this house much longer. A variable speed system will add to the price substantially most likely because you'll need a higher-end furnace. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for an upgrade price, though. A nice American Standard basic system is good enough. If the system is sized right then humidity should not be a big problem.

Now I'd just address the lineset issue. R-410a isn't necessary, but it's worth considering with your contractor. Also, I can't find an ARI match for all three components you've listed--not that it doesn't exist.

Thanks again!!

I have already written an email message to the contractor to ask about the line size issue and variable speed furnace. If the variable speed furnace is significantly more, I will not go that way.

My primary concern now is the line set sizes. I have read that having the wrong sized lines might cause the compressor to be starved for oil. Comments? Or, is it just a matter of losing some efficiency? If so, how much?

I am no expert, but the 1/8" difference between 3/4" od and 7/8" od does not seem very significant to me.

Thanks.

The smaller line set size won't starve the compressor for oil. The oil may even return faster.
    Smaller line will have a higher velocity, tends to bring the oil back better.
    The smaller vapor line will cost you about a 3% drop in efficiency.
    Contractor locator map

Ask your contractor for the ARI matchup number for those components. They are not listed as an approved match--I don't know why. The 5-ton AUD1C080 is.

The XR13 and Allegiance 13 are mechanically identical, just different cabinet.

you guys are great!

I will discuss all this with my contractor.

BaldLoonie

Last question, I promise:

Which American Standard furnace is equivalent to the Trane XE80?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast