Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    jb-OK

What is your electric rate?
    Originally Posted by jb-Ok
    I've thought a little about heat pumps - but am hesitant due to past problems. We avg electricity around 7.4 cents per kwh...gas around 8.306
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by jb-Ok View Post
    I've thought a little about heat pumps - but am hesitant due to past problems. We avg electricity around 7.4 cents per kwh...gas around 8.306. The last twelve months (Feb to March) we used 17,897 kwh (hot summers) and 573 mcf gas.
    Have you thought a LOT about $,$$$.$$

573 MCF Annual
    5730 Therms Annual
    573,000,000 BTUh Annual
    3,419 Degree Days
    2,000 Sq Footage
    83.80 Btuh/ DD / Sq Ft

$8.306 $ / 10 Therms
    $4,759.34 Natural Gas

17,897 kwh
    $0.074 $ / kwh
    $1,324.38 Electric

$6,083.72 Electric + Nat Gas

$6,083.72 Electric + Nat Gas

Degree Days:
    Heating Degree Days (base 65) 3,419
    Cooling Degree Days (base 65) 1,919

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Talking Good Info

Thanks to all that have posted.
    I am more informed than I was a week ago. To clarify, the Evolution system is about $3,000 more than the base builder's model, but only about $800 more than the Rheem model using 410a. After reading everyone's post and searching the website on the Evolution, it seems that the extra money over the builder's model will be worth it. I just heard that Bryant is also giving a $1000 rebate with these systems, so my cost is less than originally quoted.

Many thanks for the energy calculations. I may not be using the right method to calculate my costs, but based on my bills - taking the $ elect cost/kwh used = 7.4cents (no delivery charges & small fuel cost adj). The natural gas charge was basically the same - just taking the cost per mcf. Of course, these figures are for the all electricity and gas use (gas heater & hot water heater, electric for everything else). There is probably a better way to determine the costs, but I haven't truly studied it. Thanks for the link to the weathersite.

Bottom line - Based on everything I have read - it is a lot of money to spend - but getting the Evolution system it seems it will be spent getting a reliable system that should serve me well for the next 15 years.

Only unresolved issue - do people usually get the "extended warranty" to get parts & labor for 10 years?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Yes they do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12