Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2nd Opinion - Rheem or Bryant?

I live in the OKC area - 2000sf ranch w/a 9 yr old Goodman AC & Janitrol Gas Heater. The AC unit is always iffy - if it makes it thru the summer - the Gas furnace does OK. In getting bids - I can go with a 4ton 13 SEER builder's model Rheem (corsair/weatherking) that still uses the R22 or step up to the Rheem model using 410a Freon... or for about $800 more - I can go with a Bryant Evolution System (180ana048) 16 Seer 2speed AC & 94% HE (355aav060100) Var Speed 2 stage gas furnace. Comes complete with Evolution Programable Thermostat (systxbbuid01). I am leaning towards the Bryant system

BTW - Thanks to all who participate in the forum. There aren't many sites where a "everyday" person can get some education and common sense approaches to a big purchase.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You are leaning in a great direction.

Use the search function on this site ,Infinity (the Carrier version) or Evolution,and you'll see what other homeowners think of this system.

Quote Originally Posted by jb-Ok View Post
    OKC area - 2000sf ranch w/a 9 yr old

In getting bids -
    . or for about $800 more - I can go with a Bryant Evolution System
    (180ANA048) 16 Seer 2speed AC &
    94% HE (355aav060100) Var Speed 2 stage gas furnace.

Comes complete with Evolution Programable Thermostat (systxbbuid01).
    I am leaning towards the Bryant system

There aren't many sites where a "everyday" person can get some education and common sense approaches to a big purchase.
    Bryant

Does a Heat pump make sense for the OKC area?

Electric Rate?
    Gas Rate?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I've thought a little about heat pumps - but am hesitant due to past problems. We avg electricity around 7.4 cents per kwh...gas around 8.306. The last twelve months (Feb to March) we used 17,897 kwh (hot summers) and 573 mcf gas.

Go with the Bryant system. You can't really compare one systems builders grade combo with another ones top of the line. But if you did the Bryant is still the better choice. Its installer friendly, user friendly, and service friendly.

Forget any manufacturer's bulders model. The savings is not worth it. YOu might as well send me your money and cut out the middle men, the results will be just as disappointing. I've attached a little note to help you choose a good company but I'd pick the Bryant Evolution system in a hearbeat over any other. In fact, I did. Ha! I've got one in my own home. Heat pump too that works down to 35*F then the oil unit takes over below that temp.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Sorry. Forgot the attachement in the previous. Here ya go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Hands down the Bryant is a better deal for that little difference. The True humidiity control alone will pay for that in a short time.

What's the budget? Comparing putting a King on a Janitrol furnace vs a 2 stage Evolution system is like comparing a Kia Rio with a S class Benz!

If money is tight, the 13AJA48 is a nice unit for the bucks. Obviously needs a matching indoor coil to work right and be reliable. If you want & can spend it, the Evolution route has more comfort, more efficiency and many times the price.

Since you aren't in a steamy area, if you wanna spend the bucks, I'd go for a Rheem Modulator and heat pump. Super heating comfort in cold weather, heat pump for cheap heat in mild weather. Available in 2 stage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jb-Ok View Post
    I've thought a little about heat pumps - but am hesitant due to past problems. We avg electricity around 7.4 cents per kwh...gas around 8.306. The last twelve months (Feb to March) we used 17,897 kwh (hot summers) and 573 mcf gas.

Seems like
    Enormous energy hogs for just 2,000 S.F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Make sure they are sizing the new equipment properly before deciding.

And I agree with others. For the seemingly small difference you will be more comfortable with a properly sized Evolution system.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Yeah something is wrong with that price difference unless either someone is giving it away or the other one is proud.

jb-OK

What is your electric rate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast