Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rheem, Trane or Carrier

First I would like to thank everyone on this site for sharing their knowledge with people like myself trying to make an informed decision on replacing my current a/c system. I would have to say for me anyways, there is way too much info to digest. It's almost information overload. But here is what I have for the pros to digest. I have a 15 year old 1600sf home in central Florida, vaulted ceilings and larger then average windows. The builder put in a Nordyne 2 1/2 ton heat pump system. The compressor is getting noisy and the coil inside is rusting. I want to replace it with a R410a heat pump and VS air handler. From what I have been reading on here I want to go middle of the road. Nothing too high tech, but an efficient unit. I have had 3 estimates. My personal a/c guy who I have used for years is an independent. Works for himself, very reputable and has been very good to me over the years. He is a Rheem dealer. The second is from Trane, I liked how professional that company was represented. And the third is Carrier, which I really didn't appreciate the high pressure sales. Well they all did the manual J calculations and they all have suggested moving up to a 3 ton unit. As far as pricing, the Rheem was ALOT cheaper. The Trane was what I had expected and the Carrier was a little more then the Trane. I would appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks in advance. Here is what they offered.

Rheem

RPNL036JAZ HP
    RHKLHM3617JA AH

Trane

XL14 4TWX4036A HP
    2/4TEE3C37 AH

Carrier

25HCA336A HP
    FV4BNF005 AH

If your happy with the guy thats been doing your service work. And he performed the calcs, I'd recomend using him.

The brand don't matter, if you don't get good service after the sale!
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

SPECS:

Rheem 13.50 SEER, 9.15 HSPF, 38,500 cool, 38,500 heat

Trane 14.00 SEER, 8.70 HSPF, 35,400 cool, 32,000 heat

Carrier 14.50 SEER, 8.60 HSPF, 35,000 cool, 33,600 heat

All over the board. In a warm cliamte, high SEER from Carrier might be the tie breaker from an equipment side. In a cooler climate, the highest HSPF and definitely the highest capacity comes from Rheem.

If in a heating climate, look at Trane's low heat output. That means more backup is needed and air coming from the vents is cooler.

We've been moving more Rheem than A-S/Trane just from that standpoint plus it is nice equipment. I like having high & low pressure protection on a heat pump.

Any of them will do fine so if you are particular to any one dealer, that should be the most important factor. Then look at the above.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If you have lived there thru the hot summers and the 2.5 did fine,no need to go to 3 tons,load calcs are subject to user input,that can cause an error.

Did the measure each window ,door,sq footage,check for insulation R-value?

If not they didn't do a load calc..

Another facor is the duct system size,in Florida,it's very unlikely the current ducts are sized for 3 ton.

Before going to 3 ton,if they are correct,I'd rerun the calcs with increased attic insulation,unless you already have R-30.Or tinting the east and west glass to reduce the system size needed.

If you go Carrier,get the new Edge Thermostat,to control indoor humidity,in the cooling mode.Same with any other brand ,the likely have a stat with dehumidification control.

If your current company ,has a brand with features you like/want,then it could be wise to go with a known provider.

I think they are all overpriced and overated

Thanks for the replies. So in a hot and humidy climate like Florida you recommend to go with as high a seer as I can afford? I'm sure that is something I can work out with my A/c guy. Thanks again

I'd go with variable speed and dehumidification control,first ,then higher SEER.

The dehum controls will keep you more comfort ,and often allow comort at higher indoor temps.,for most people.

Thanks, I'll check with my a/c guy Monday and see what we can come up with. He is more then willing to work with me and has no problem answering all of my questions. As a mater of fact he spent a couple of hours over her last night going over some other models too. I know he had mentioned a 16 seer with Rheem, but he wasn't sure what my budget was and didn't bring that information for me to look over. Probably because he knew I didn't want to get too high tech with what I wanted to install. Maybe I should take a look. Thanks again. Have a great weekend all.

Quote Originally Posted by wildponie View Post
    Thanks, I'll check with my a/c guy Monday and see what we can come up with. He is more then willing to work with me and has no problem answering all of my questions. As a mater of fact he spent a couple of hours over her last night going over some other models too. I know he had mentioned a 16 seer with Rheem, but he wasn't sure what my budget was and didn't bring that information for me to look over. Probably because he knew I didn't want to get too high tech with what I wanted to install. Maybe I should take a look. Thanks again. Have a great weekend all.
    Have the calculation run with R-30 in the attic,even if you don't have it now,it's may reduce the size system you'll need,and definately save you money.

The RPRL and matching air handler gets 16.50 SEER and 9.50 HSPF. Either system you can put the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ system on it and use the dehumidify on demand feature to slow the blower if humidity inside is high. Not as sophisticated as the Infinity will do but gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The RPRL and matching air handler gets 16.50 SEER and 9.50 HSPF. Either system you can put the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ system on it and use the dehumidify on demand feature to slow the blower if humidity inside is high. Not as sophisticated as the Infinity will do but gets the job done.
    BL, is the RHLL variable speed with the X13 motor? Any difference between the X13 and the ECM? I believe it's that the X13 doesn't ramp up...

Edit: Nevermind, Google'd it and found your post in this thread: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=109585

What's good is I read in Rheem specifications that this motor can run at 50% speed for constant fan. I would still take the RHKL for the ECM motor, however.

The X13 doesn't vary to maintain airflow. If static changes, airflow changes. It does run at 50% speed in constant fan. Customer called last week right after an install wondering why his hum was on when nothing else was. So quiet he couldn't hear the fan!

Actually a few instances the X13 gets higher SEER or HSPF than the variable speed. One match with a 2.5 ton RPNL gets 15 SEER, there's another RPPL match with the RHLL that gets over 10 HSPF, incredible number for air source.

Actually as a supplier pointed out and GE's site confirmed, the X13 is an ECM too.

Okay here is my update. Talked to my a/c guy and he can get me the 16 seer RPRL036JEZ HP and matching RHPLHM3621 AH for a little less then the Carrier which was the most expensive of the three estimates. I know it's a no brainer to go with the 16 seer Rheem because of the cost and confident I am in my a/c guy. My only concern is the reliability of the newer sophisticated high tech systems. Are they as reliable? With the cost of energy going thru the roof I want the most efficent unit I can afford. I plan on being in this home for a very long time so the additional cost will pay for itself in the long run. Are these newer higher seer sytems proving themslves to be as reliable? Thanks again in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast