it is a semi-detached 1 floor plus finished basement,
    3 bedrooms
    aprox 1300 SQ feet
    aprox 9 windows
    1 sliding glass door
    8 foot ceilings

30 year old home
    located in Burlington Ontario Canada

the home inspector i used recommended i upgrade the furnace as its 29 years old also the AC unit as its 18 years old

Current Furnace is a Coleman but i do not have a model number

I would like to get some recommendations on Furnace models and manufacturers. as I really am not sure

I am going to try and roll the furnace upgrade into the mortgage

any advice would be appreciated
    I dont have access to get an estimate currently

First piece of advice, YOU change the equipment. Get an allowance from the buyer if you can but don't let them change it as part of a purchase agreement. You'd end up with a POS installed by the lowest bidder!

beyond that, only local dealers who can see the job can give you an idea of prices

more info: www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    First piece of advice, YOU change the equipment. Get an allowance from the buyer if you can but don't let them change it as part of a purchase agreement. You'd end up with a POS installed by the lowest bidder!

You probably can wait 3 months (weather?), so negotiate an allowance for replacing your system, then do it after taking possession. You will save 2 ways: Here in the states, we pay property taxes based on the selling price of the home. If you can get money knocked off of your price, you might pay for the replacement in 10 - 15 years based on your tax savings.

Likewise, if you roll the price into your mortgage, you will be paying interest on your system for the life of the mortgage. Check with contractors--some offer good deals on financing.

Good luck.

Am

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    I will be buying a used home in 3 months
    it is a semi-detached 1 floor plus finished basement,
    3 bedrooms
    aprox 1300 SQ feet
    aprox 9 windows
    1 sliding glass door
    8 foot ceilings

30 year old home
    located in Burlington Ontario Canada

the home inspector i used recommended i upgrade the furnace as its 29 years old also the AC unit as its 18 years old

Current Furnace is a Coleman but i do not have a model number

I would like to get some recommendations on Furnace models and manufacturers. as I really am not sure

I am going to try and roll the furnace upgrade into the mortgage

any advice would be appreciated
    I dont have access to get an estimate currently
    Did you talk to your bank about rolling it into the mortgage? I don't know if that is going to be an option, I'd be curious to know if they will allow that to happen. When we bought our home any improvements we made had to be done with our own cash so we lowered our down payment a bit. Just make sure you know exactly how your going to pay for the new setup because it won't be cheap regardless.

Instead of looking for a brand of equipment, look for the company you want to keeping it working effiecently and repair quickly. He/she should have the right parts on his/her truck and a history of great service! If you pick a super deluxe brand, and the nearest parts house is 100 miles away, you could have a house full of unhappy relatives asking why it is taking so long!

God here I go again...more free promotions for carrier....check with the closest carrier AUTHORIZED DEALER, no someone in the yellow pages with just a carrier logo. Dealers have access to rebate programs (called cool cash). If you're on a budget go with Carrier Comfort Series. Not outrageously priced and nicely equipped (pressure switches, compressor sound blanket, etc.). If you're not on a budget then go for the most advanced system on the residential market with the Carrier Infinity system. If I remember correctly you can actually get quite a chunk of change back from the cool cash promotions. Other manufactures have rebats as well, I'm just partial to carrier. By the way, I think ARI (American Refrigeration Institute) rates Coleman near tops in longevity. And this is a big gasp, but Goodman aint that bad either. Goodman offers 5 year parts warranty off the break, and I don't think this is still the case but they used to use only honewell controls (remember honeywell--to the moon and back)

I am partial to the Carrier Infinity line also. But I remember working with my dad in the '70's on package units for mobile homes that were sold because they were lower priced, had a 5 year warranty on the compressor, but no local rep/service. To get your's replaced, you shipped it across country and waited 3 months for the replacement. Not good in the 100+ Texas summers.