Is this misinformation?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...heat-pump.html

^^ This thread asks about geothermal in NJ. Frankly, I don't know enough to give advise, but wanted to steer them in the right direction. Please settle some misconceptions if you see them here.

Not even sure if I can post a link to another board, but I'd hate for people to get steered the wrong way if it can be avoided. Also, maybe I was wrong about it, and will be corrected. Maybe a pro (or two) can give their opinion. thank you

In florida geo systems are used in residential application normaly in beach side area, for the simple reason that salt air destroys outdoor units to quickly.
    Other than that were ever I can avoid putting one in I do. There are far less expensive options to heating and cooling your home than geo systems.
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

I'm in agreement with Doc..... unless you've got a situation where a standard outdoor HP won't standup or work I can't see the substantial up cost in going geothermal ever paying for itself in the normal life span of the equipment and associated items. This of course doesn't apply if your only option for the backup to a standard HP is electric resistive heat and your electric rates require a second mortage on the house to pay the bill.

My limited experience with geothermal taught me that the per ton installed price was usually 2-3 times that of conventional HP's.

Nothing is free no matter what the advertising says and when common sense kicks in and you sit down and do the math with sensible real life numbers it's hard to justify spending thousands of dollars more that you'll probably never recover unless you stay in the home for 30 years and NEVER have a problem that requires calling for service. Last time I checked the only thing that was that reliable was Pet Rocks. Dated myself there I guess.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

If your going to live in the house the rest of your life. It makes sense in most areas that don't have cheap electric rates.

If your moving in 5 years, doubt you'll get enough return to make it worth while the investment.

Most of the comments on that post where in left field.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?