0 for 3 with heat pump incorporated with oil furnace

In a past post I ask if it were possible to replace my A/C compressor and coil with a heat pump and use the heat pump on mild days and have the oil burner kick in on colder days. Long story short the general opinion on this site was it could be done but get a HVAC pro who knows what he is doing.

So far, not so good…The 1st guy was a very silly parts swapper and gave me a quote for a simple 13 SEER 4 ton A/C replacement telling me that the heat pump concept was not worth it. By the look on his face it was clear to me the whole concept was over his head.

The 2nd company (sales guy, not an owner or installer came over) and he said they could do it but no mention of doing a manual J calc. or other sizing mathematics. Priced was based on the tonnage of the condenser I currently have in place. Also, I reminded him after the price quote (3rd time I mentioned it) that I wanted to set up an outdoor thermostat to find the economic balance point. He came back and said “oh, I need to look into that, I think we can do something like that.”

The 3rd guy said he could not do it or even make money on it because he would not be able to get the proper support from his supplier. At least he did not sell me a bag a goods.

What next? How many HVAC folks do I have come to my home? At 1st I felt bad wasting peoples time but now I feel like they are wasting time mine.

Anyone on this site planning a trip to lower NY?

They are waisting your time, any service tech that should be out on his own , should be abe to take care of your request with no problem, just like any other Fossel fuel install, but you just need to install a fossel fuel kit or a stat that has it built in, (Honeywell vision pro) and find your balance point for your home
    Last edited by Infohunter88; 03-20-2008 at 11:50 AM.

You need to screen them on the phone so you don't waste your time or theirs.

Its not llike it hard to do. Duel fuel is not a dirty phrase.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I can only echo what has been said, Even a pro with fair knowledge can be able to take care of what is being asked. A heat pump/oil furnace setup is a basic fossil fuel system that can be taken care of with a kit that senses outdoor air temp to change over from one unit to the other. As stated Honeywell makes an excellent touch face thermostat that can do this easly with just a outdoor sensor and a basic setup in the setup menu. Honeywell is not the only game plan, other manufactures have options available too. It is obvious the people have been contacted were not the correct pro's. I would call a reputable company and have them come out. You get what you pay for.

I am sorry to hear you have struck out in finding what you want. I think you need to find a company that works on heat pumps. There is no way anyone will be able to find the balance point without a load calculation.

Definitely have whatever contractor you hire do a load calc on your home before buying anything. Alternatively, do one yourself using HVAC Calc and be sure to double check all measurements etc. Installing a dual fuel system is NOT that complicated so you should be able to find someone capable.

Hers is a thought, do your own load calcs here, and find someone on this site to come do the job. Where in lower ny, be more specific. I know there are guys in north jersey and also the poconos here...Really, this setup should be a snap for most guys lingering around here. Its available from most if not all manufacturers.

That just shows that a good contractor is hard to find!

Screen them over the phone, so you dont waste your time with a contractor who has no idea.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

If your near BREWSTER call Carmine's in Danbury CT,we have not sold an a/c system with oil or propane in along time.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!