want to move this heat vent down new wall?

want to move this heat vent down new wall?

Hello you wonderful people here at hvac talk.

I would like to know if I can re-route that heat vent down the side of that new wall. I have closed off that small area, where the laundry is and I would like to have heat in the main part of the basement.

Thanks very much for your help.

Just to clarify: do you mean the wall on the right? I think that'd be a tight fit, but you may be able to find some feasible means of doing that. You have to consider other things (which I'm sure others can tell you about) involving the airflow change.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Just to clarify: do you mean the wall on the right? I think that'd be a tight fit, but you may be able to find some feasible means of doing that. You have to consider other things (which I'm sure others can tell you about) involving the airflow change.

Yes, it is the wall on the right. A new wall, inbetween the studs that are 16 inches on centre.

Air flow? Do you mean, because the air has to be pushed down?
    Would that not work?

Thanks.

Yes, it is the wall on the right. A new wall, inbetween the studs that are 16 inches on centre.
    I'm thinking more about the issues of the depth. Compare the diameter of the round duct to the depth of the studs.

Air flow? Do you mean, because the air has to be pushed down?
    Would that not work?
    I don't know much about airflow, but from what I read on this site, changing the ductwork can change things such as pressure and velocity that need to be taken into consideration. That's why I said I'm sure others can tell you about this.

I have vents in my house that appear small to fit inside of wall joists so I know it can be done.

It should be able to be done with something like 3x12 duct work down the wall. The drywall will have to be removed on one side of course, but it can be done. Done it down a wall like that plenty of times.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Thanks for your help guys or gals.

I am not finishing that room where it exists now, so if I put the same tube going down the wall and it sticks out, I'm ok with that.

Would I just attach a u shape tube and then connect whatever I need to bring it down the wall? Then of course, make a hole on the wall and attach the grill.

How do I secure it, so that it won't wobble?

Thanks again.

Angry

Taking food off the table once again.

No DIY help!

Thread closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.