Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Edge vs Infinity T-stat

What functionality do I lose (if any) if I decide to go with the new Edge T-stat vs. Infinity T-stat?

I love the way Edge looks. It's very modern and stylish... and looks high end. Infinity, while being high end, looks ... not as hot. However, I don't want to sacrifice brains for the looks.

I was told that Infinity uses only 4 wires, while Edge may need twice or more, necessitating higher labor cost. Also, I've heard that Edge is harder to configure, while Infinity configures itself. It can be where some errors can be made in install.

Anyway, what's the functional difference? What do I lose if I go with Edge and is it essential enough? (Why don't they make Infinity in such awesome case).

You lose the Infinity-communicating feature of the Infinity control, thus losing much of the control and functionality of your Infinity system. I highly suggest you go with the Infinity control.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    You lose the Infinity-communicating feature of the Infinity control, thus losing much of the control and functionality of your Infinity system. I highly suggest you go with the Infinity control.
    Ditto!!!

I'm going to assume since you're talking about the Infinity Control that you have compatible or communicating equipment. Heres what you loose by going with the Edge thermostat. First of all, as you've said depending on your equipment you've now added more wires, lets say you have a heat pump outside which most require 5 wires on the low voltage (brown thin) wire and you've only got 4 wires there currently, then you need to pull a whole new wire which depending on your house is completely finished or not mean cutting probing. Ok, now to the really important stuff. The Infinity control have so many more features both to you as the user and to me as the technician. For starters with the Infinity control you can select continuous fan speed (ideal if you have indoor air quality products [4" media filter, UV lights, etc.]) you can select low, medium or high. NO OTHER thermostat will give you that option. Secondly, the Infinity Control is EXTREMELY user friendly, the edge can be a little confusing. With the inifinity control you can set Heating Humidity levels (used with a whole house humidifier) and Cooling Humidity level which you will be most grateful for in several months which brings up another feature, SUPERDEHUMIDIFICATION! I don't believe that the Edge allows for dehumidification. The inifinity control works with the equipment to drastically slow the speed of the air across your indoor coil to really wring out moisture in the air. The Edge does not. And personally besides the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Touch Screen thermostat I don't think there is a cooler control on the market than Infinity. Now as a technician, the infinity control makes my job so much easier should I have to troubleshoot a problem on an infinity system. With labor rates being NOT CHEAP this might pay off for you down the road. Hope this helps.

Wow! Infinity T-state seems like a slam dunk, if we go with matching Inifinity system.

Now, what if we chose Performance series outdoor units, rather than Infinity. Would getting Infinity T-stat still makes sense, or all those cool features are lost when matched with Performance?

Thanks.

The Performance series communicates with the Infinity system as well. Are you going to have an Infinity indoor unit (furnace/air handler)?

Quote Originally Posted by dafreerider View Post
    Wow! Infinity T-state seems like a slam dunk, if we go with matching Inifinity system.

Now, what if we chose Performance series outdoor units, rather than Infinity. Would getting Infinity T-stat still makes sense, or all those cool features are lost when matched with Performance?

Thanks.
    The only real difference between the performance and infinity units is that infinity uses a 2 speed compressor and performance uses a single speed. You will also be able to achieve a higher SEER rating with infinity than you can with performance. I believe performance is rated at 68 decibels for noise which is wicked quiet, you'll be able to stand next to it and not have to talk loudly to have a conversation while the infinity is rated I think at 72 db

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    The only real difference between the performance and infinity units is that infinity uses a 2 speed compressor and performance uses a single speed. You will also be able to achieve a higher SEER rating with infinity than you can with performance. I believe performance is rated at 68 decibels for noise which is wicked quiet, you'll be able to stand next to it and not have to talk loudly to have a conversation while the infinity is rated I think at 72 db
    True. I was blown away at how quiet my neighbor's 25HPA542 was. You literally had to get closer to it to tell it was on!

Quote Originally Posted by dafreerider View Post

Thanks.
    Provided you have gas to your home and you can afford it I would go with a 25ANA1...for your outdoor unit and a 58MVP furnace inside. This is also known as a Dual Fuel System. Basically you would have a Gas furnace inside with a Heat Pump outside. Now if you live in a mild climate where it doesn't get below 35 in the the winter I would get just a heat pump system. If it gets cold where you live however, I would suggest a dual fuel. The sweet thing is that with the infinity system 4 wires does it all, in other words not additional wiring would be needed and you would have the most badass system you could get in residential equipment.

Not to be picky but for clarification for the OP, the highest SEER Infinity heat pump is the 25HNA9--up to 19 SEER. What size would you be looking at? You may not gain much efficiency over the 25HNA6, but you will get a scroll compressor, which doesn't have to stop to switch stages.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Not to be picky but for clarification for the OP, the highest SEER Infinity heat pump is the 25HNA9--up to 19 SEER. What size would you be looking at? You may not gain much efficiency over the 25HNA6, but you will get a scroll compressor, which doesn't have to stop to switch stages.
    I stand corrected. Ryan where in MD are you I'm across the river in Loudoun County

I'm in Montgomery County--have you ever been over here?

Eagerly waiting for that hot weather to arrive...

hell yeah I've done quite alot of work in Silv. Springs and Bethesda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast